My First Fondant Cake Is Choco-Pan

Decorating By margpegg Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 1:42am by BlakesCakes

margpegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margpegg Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 6

Never have attempted a fondant covered cake. Now my first request is with choco-pan. I would really apreciate everyone's insightful experience. The cake will be two rectangular layers, a 12 x 18 on bottom, 9 x 12 stacked directly on top.

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

You're not gonna like what I have to say.................

Choco-pan is a great tasting, fine product...........for people who are very experienced in covering cakes in fondant. It is NOT for beginners.

Choco-pan is chocolate based, is very temperature affected, soft, and easily overworked.

I've been in classes where it's used by the instructors and I've seen seasoned decorators produce horrid products.

I can use it, but I don't because I don't like to have to baby my fondant. I would never attempt to cover a 12x18 with it.

Now, the good news...........you can knead the Choco-pan with a good, stiff fondant--Wilton--yes, Wilton--and get a fantastic tasting, easy to work with product that will make covering such large cake possible.

HTH
Rae

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto. It tastes amazing but can be tricky to work with. My local cake supply store stocks it as its primary fondant so I decided to give it a try. Like BlakesCakes mentioned, you can mix it with an easier fondant. I mix Duff with other fondant all the time because it's super soft.

You might want to buy some Choco-Pan and try it out on a smaller cake to practice. I was taught to roll it really thin, which is a plus because it goes a longer way, but also a minus because it's not going to hide a lot of flaws if your cake isn't ideally smooth. Also, I found it easier to roll with powdered sugar instead of crisco. Hope that helps. Good luck!

margpegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margpegg Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 6

Wow, ok. Then I should use the choco-pan more to flavor and to add a little easier workability to a stiff wilton fondant. Could I ask? What ratio choco to fondant, or is is just taste? Thanks

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

No particular formula, really. I just add until I get a consistency that I find easier to work with.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6

I'd suggest starting with a ratio of 1/3 choco pan to 2/3 Wilton.
Maybe start with a total of a pound and see how you like it.

If you can work with it really easily, you can knead -pan in a little more Choco-pan, but don't go overboard.

You want to retain that workability of the Wilton as much as you want the flavor of the Choco-pan!!!!!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%