New Business Adventure

Lounge By ExpressionCakes Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 5:14pm by jason_kraft

ExpressionCakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 2

I am new to the site, forum and a new cake business owner. My friends and family pushed for me to do this. I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years and my hobby was to cook. I then recieved some Wilton cake deco classes as a gift and realized I had a hidden talent. icon_biggrin.gif
I have now been decorating cakes as a business for the past 3 months and I am wowed at the interest in my cakes.
I am still building my equipment collection and trying to save money as much as possible so that it won't go into my household budget.
Ok.. so my reason for posting. I am just looking for some good advise and good ways to make my at home business a success. How to a get more clients and how to charge for my cakes.

1 reply
jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 2

This is where your business plan will help you. Typically a business plan is done before a business starts up, but if you can legally run a home bakery in your area, operating for a few months without a plan isn't the worst thing in the world. Check out for more info on writing a business plan.

To price accurately you'll need to know what your costs are, including ingredients, labor, and overhead. You'll want to make sure you are complying with all the laws in your area (business licensing, sales tax, zoning, etc.) and you are accurately tracking income and expenses for tax purposes. You'll also need to protect yourself and your personal assets with business liability insurance.

To get more clients, you need to have a competitive advantage -- something you can do better than your competition. Once you have your competitive advantage you can start marketing efforts, which will vary widely depending on which market you are targeting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%