Christmas List- Cricut Cake Or Air Brush?

Decorating By ScrumdidlyCakes Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 3:21am by Rosita0547

ScrumdidlyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScrumdidlyCakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:10am
post #1 of 8

Hello fellow forum addicts!

My husband asked what I wanted for Christmas today, and even though I would have several things to wish for there are only 2 that I really want.....other than the new 7qt Kitchenaid mixer from Williams Sanoma but that's just a DREAM! So I'm debating on an airbrush from globalsugarart.com or a Cricut Cake. I'm not a fondant person. All buttercream. I really want the air brush but not sure how often I'd be using it. For those that have one, do you use it quite often?
Also, I watch Food Network Challenge and it seems like almost every episode someone is having problems with the air brush clogging. Is that very common?

7 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:13am
post #2 of 8

Skip the Cricut. I tried using mine once and got so flippin' frustrated with it that it's been unused for more than a year.

I want an airbrush, too!!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:42am
post #3 of 8

Well I wanted both and just got my airbrush last Saturday and I love it, definitely think I made the right choice in getting that first.

It is such a fab easy way to shimmer a whole cake in such a quick time and I also used it to completely change a dummy wedding cake that was looking a bit tired from white to bright pink. I then took it along to a wedding fayre on the Sunday and it got so many great comments.

Way to go AIRBRUSH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 9:22am
post #4 of 8

Airbrush, definitely. Cricut is sooooooooo overrated. And yes, if they are not cleaned properly, they will clog. Cleaning takes a little effort.

ashya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashya Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 10:30am
post #5 of 8

I agree with MacsMom, the cricuit for me was very frustrating and also has been setting for over a year collecting dust. I don't know much about the airbrush other then I really want one.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, not to be the odd one out but I would skip the Cricut all together only to get a Silhouette or any other cutting machine except the Cricut. I had one and it worked BEAUTIFULLY but I used it with the Sure Cut A Lot programme. Now you can't anymore - you have to buy the expensive cartridges. Get another machine that is compatible with the programme (or Make the Cut - I have both and prefer Sure Cut a Lot) and you will NOT BE SORRY!!! I sold my Cricut and bought a Klic 'n Kut (a little more pricy but BOY - not sorry). BTW I have an airbrush but don't really use it. Just collecting dust!
HTH and that I don't not confuse you more!
Regards from sunny South Africa

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 8

Get both! Paper Crafting Pro has the Cricut Cake for $40 right now! I bought one 2 days ago for my sister for Christmas. I have yet to open mine that I got off Ebay a little while ago, but I hope to do so soon. I've heard a lot of people have had problems with the Cricut Cake, but I've also heard that a lot of people love it! Hopefully I fall in the love it category!! Besides $40 is too good to pass up!!

Someone on here posted about the sale. I don't know how to add the link though. There is supposedly a catch that you have to pay for a membership after a free 2 day trial, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. Several CC members posted the details about the membership on the other post. You should be able to find it in my past posts. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I also have an airbrush that I bought specifically for one cake and I haven't used it since. I don't make a lot of cakes though, maybe about 3-5 a month. It's nice to know that I have it in case I need it though.

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:21am
post #8 of 8

I bought my cricut cake several months ago and I was sooo excited, it cost me $200.00 at that time. I've tried to use it twice with no luck. I tried putting the sheet with fondant or gumpaste in the freezer, I've tried the new sheets from Michael and NOTHING works. All you are able to cut are LARGE shapes, forget trying anything with detail. I was so disappointed! And I was debating at the time I bought it between the Cricut or an edible printer......I SHOULD have gone with the printer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%