Rice Krispy Treats Question

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 2:40pm by cakeyouverymuch

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 4:34am
post #1 of 7

Hello, Whenever I use rice krispy treats to make something and cover them with buttercream and then fondant the object comes out bumpy. what am I doing wrong? I take the treats and mold them into the object I want, I then use buttercream place it in the fridge then put fondant over it and it never comes out smooth. Please help!

6 replies
elainemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainemc Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:38am
post #2 of 7

YOU CAN TRY A NICE THICK GANACHE INSTEA OT BUTTERCREAM- IT COVERS BETTER OR I HAVE ALSO USED ROYAL ICING.

lovecakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecakes52 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:42am
post #3 of 7

Bump

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 8:31am
post #4 of 7

Please don't bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Since you brought it up... It's actually a huge pet-peeve of mine.

Please don't bump icon_smile.gif

It's unnecessary, it clogs the forum with useless posts and most likely it's going to get deleted anyway

The best thing to do is post a quick reply. For example
instead of typing 'bump' and making that your entire post...

Say something, like 'anyone else have an idea?'

Or something to that effect....It's short, its sweet, it accomplishes what you want... bumping the thread to the most recent and it actually adds something to the conversation.

This isn't a rule, just a request from me to help me keep my sanity while moderating the forum and trying to keep it organized for everyone.

Additionally, Jackie and Heath never intended registered CC members to be glued to the homepage waiting for the limited preview of posts to change.

Instead, why not use "view posts since last visit" feature tab viewable when in any forum (and soon to be found on the homepage). This feature allows you to view ALL posts entered since your last visit -- not just those entered since your current log-in. You'll have pages of posts to choose from instead of a maximum of ten....

If all members used "view posts since last visit" - no post in any forum would be overlooked and all posts would be available and waiting for viewing at your convenience.

And if a member is "watching" the thread for updates - it's frustrating to receive an email notification of a new post which only consists of bump.

HTH

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:08am
post #5 of 7

I am sorry what is a "bump". I posted a question and that was the reply I got. Then a long reply from Jackie?

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

@scratchdog, try melting some white chocolate or candy melts, and then brushing them on your rice krispy treats with a pastry brush. It will give you a smoother finish on which to apply your fondant. Check out the dinosaur cake in my gallery. That's what I did with his head. Good luck!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

After I have the shape I want, and before I coat it with buttercream or candy melts, I take the back of a wooden spoon and use pressure to smooth the RCT. The more smooth you can make the surface before you coat it the more smooth your finished product will be. When I find an area the still won't smooth, I use a very sharp knife to shave the surface. When you cover your sculpture with buttercream or candy melts you want to make sure the surface is still smooth before you apply your fondant. You might find that candy melts (or melted chocolate) works better because you can use the heat of your hands to help smooth the surface. I used this technique on all three of these:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2050053

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1943672

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923365

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%