Would Someone Look At This Recipe??

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm by AnnieCahill

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 6

I found this recipe online and I want to try it. . .BUT. . .I have a fear of cake flour. Every single time I have baked with it I just hate how it comes out. . .never seems to rise correctly and is always a wierd texture. . .I swore I would never use it again.

This recipe doesn't call for cake flour, but flour plus cornstarch (which by my understanding is the same idea).

Would someone who plays with recipes etc take a look at this one and le tme know if you think i should give it a whirl? Does it "look" like it would be a good recipe?

Thanks so much!!!

Here's the link to the website. http://www.yourcupofcake.com/2011/06/lemon-blueberry-cupcakes.html

5 replies
Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

slparker,I am going to make this cupcakes for thankgiving sounds delish.Flour plus cornstarch is exactly like cakeflour.I add cornstarch to all my cookie recipes.

forheavenscake Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 6

So then what am I doing wrong? Haven't tried this recipe yet but I never get good results with cake flour. Any ideas?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

What brand of cake flour do you use? I can't figure out why you would have a problem with it -- are you trying to substitute cake flour for self-rising flour? Cake flour should always be sifted before use. What do you mean by "weird texture"? Cake flour is usually called for when a finer texture is wanted.

forheavenscake Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 6

It comes out very thick and while moist is just very very thick. I use swans. I have only ever used it when a reciipe calls for it and have never substituted it. I will give this one a shot and see how it goes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 6

I use Softasilk and I have never had that problem.

How are you measuring your flour? The best way is to weigh it but I know not everyone owns a kitchen scale (myself included). I have read in several books that the best thing to do is pour the cake flour into a large bowl and stir it with a whisk, then dip the cup in and sweep it off the top. Some just spoon the flour into the cup and that works ok too.

Also, pay attention to the wording of the recipe. If it says 3 cups of cake flour, sifted, that is different than 3 cups of sifted cake flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%