Stacking Cakes A Day Before The Event

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 7:55pm by Karen421

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

I usually have people pick up their cakes the day of the event, but this weekend the person wants to pick it up the day before. I am a worry wart because I've seen so many pictures of cakes that fell over or whatever. The cake is a 10 inch bottom and 7 inch top... i will be using the poly sticks for support and will drive a wooden dowel down the center. Am I worrying for nothing??? Please tell me that it should be ok. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 7

Properly doweled it shouldn't be a problem. Are you doing buttercream or fondant?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 7

It should be OK.

PS Can I introduce you to SPS?

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 7

I'm sure you'll be fine. I just did a 6"/8" stacked anniversary cake that had a soft buttercream (more butter to shortening ratio) which i was worried about and heavy gumpaste/fondant flowers cascading down the front. I completely decorated it Sunday and stored in my fridge till it was picked up Monday evening. It was fine and the daughter even carried it in her lap on the way home which was about 30 mins away!

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

I covered the cakes in buttercream (indydebi's buttercream recipe) and MMF.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

It should be fine. Sounds like you've covered your bases. The only thing I can suggest is that you purchase some rubberized shelf paper and give a large piece to the client with instructions to lay that on a FLAT floor in the car, then put the cake on top. Also put a piece of rubberized shelf paper under the cake in the cake box. It will not move unless they drive too fast.

p.s. I recently used SPS for the first time. I wrote Leah_S a personal thank you! The SPS system is wonderful!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

I have to chime in on the SPS icon_biggrin.gif No fail with that method! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%