Stack A Cake That's Already Decorated With Buttercreme?

Decorating By amazonqt Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 6:41pm by cakelady2266

amazonqt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazonqt Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:29am
post #1 of 7

Ok, I am NOT a cake decorator at all. My baby is turning one and I want a cute two tier jungle theme cake. The place I want to buy from doesn't make tiered cakes. So I was thinking I could order 5 & 8in round cakes and have them decorate it for my theme and then stack them when I get home? Would my idea work? Can I do it without ruining the decorations? I heard you can use straws for support. How would I stack them and where do I buy the supplies? Or should I order a sheet cake like everyone else and call it day? lol

Super Walmart makes two tier cakes that look great. You would never guess they came from walmart but their buttercreme is not so good. It taste like it came out of a can of frosting that you buy in the stores. I want a pretty cake that taste good too!

6 replies
amazonqt Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:21am
post #2 of 7

Not sure why this was moved. This is a not a decorating question. The cake will already be decorated when I buy it. This is a stacking question but as long as I get a answer that's fine! icon_biggrin.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 7

You should be safe using straws for a 5 inch cake that will not be moved after stacking. You will most likely need some type of border between the tiers once stacked. Maybe ask the bakery to leave off the border on the smaller cake and add it when you stack it at home.

Hope this helps!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 7

Tell them what you would like to do. Have the smaller cake put on a round that just fits - sometimes they are on decorative larger ones.

Also, maybe you could get some extra frosting to pipe a small border after you stack.

amazonqt Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 7

I have no idea how to pipe but I assume its not that hard. Thanks for the replies!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 7

instead of piping just buy some coordinating sixlets and place them around the border. that way you dont have to worry about piping. they have them in all one color in stores like Joanns.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 7

If it were me I would find a baker or bakery that could make a stacked cake like I wanted. If you have no cake experience it's not going to be worth the grief of trying to do it yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%