mkmetz Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of

I am trying to paint a white chocolate Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I used the candy melts to make it, then tried to paint it with a mixture of silver pearl dust and clear vanilla. It just beaded up on the chocolate and didn't adhere at all. I tried painting an unmelted candy melt and it was fine. What's going on? What kind of white chocolate should I be using?

Any help is really appreciated-cake is for tomorrow evening!!

Thanks!

14 replies
mariacakestoo Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:00am
post #2 of

It's basically the same effect as mixing oil and water. I bet you got lucky with the unmelted one, or it had a fine powder coat on it from the bag and it allowed the mixture to stick.

mkmetz Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:05am
post #3 of

I've seen it done on here, so I know it can be done. But maybe I'm using the wrong kind of white chocolate?

valerieInga Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of

I tried that once with a small thing, and it beaded up also. I then tried to dry brush it on and it stuck fairly well, better than mixed with vodka, which I used.

Biya Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:15am
post #5 of

Try mixing a little thicker consistency then painting on a couple of coats letting them dry between coats. Good luck.

KoryAK Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:32am
post #6 of

mariacakestoo is right, they are not meant to go together like that. Try dry dusting it for a more subtle effect or make the paint with oil. It will coat better, but won't dry so that could make additional problems later. I know they make special airbrush stuff for spraying on chocolate but IDK if you can access that in time.

mariacakestoo Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:36am
post #7 of

Oh yes, try dusting it on dry! It should stick like a charm that way.

mkmetz Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of

Thanks everyone. I tried dusting it on dry and it stuck a little bit, but was very light. I wish I could have found luster dust, but they didn't have it at Michael's, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby. What's strange is that the candy melts have a matte finish before melted, so you can easily paint on them with the vodka/dust mix. It's just that after melting, they get a glossy finish and then the stuff doesn't stick. I wonder if almond bark is like that, too. I just have tomorrow to get it right, or just go with plain white. I knew this couldn't be as easy as it looked!!

deuceofcakes Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 4:07am
post #9 of

I recently painted silver dust mixed with vodka on candy clay I colored light grey using gel color (see the car keys sitting on the cake stand on my zebra stripe cake if you want evidence). The other poster is correct; you need to mix the silver dust with just a few drops of vodka to make a very thick paint, almost a paste (think of Elmers glue consistency), and then brush it on. I found it would bead up if it were too thin, but if it is thicker it will stick. Let it dry well and paint a second coat, again, keeping it thick. HTH. Good luck.

mkmetz Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 4:27am

Thank you Deuceofcakes! I thickened the mixture a lot and it definitely sticks better. I think I can salvage the one I've already made, which is awesome!!! I will let it dry and do a few more coats.

Nancy_TX Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 4:34am

Just wipe it with a paper towel first then dry dust.

One other tip - although your first instinct may be to start with yellow candy melts for gold or mix some black into white candy melts to make gray for silver, it actually works much better to start with chocolate (not white chocolate) and then dry brush the gold or silver luster dust. The chocolate takes the color much better.

The gold frame on the 1st Communion cake in my pictures was done with chocolate and dry brushed with gold luster dust. The grapes also started off chocolate (they're actually malted milk balls).

Good luck.

Nancy

mkmetz Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 4:47am

Thanks Nancy_TX, I didn't even think to use regular chocolate, but your communion cup looks great! I can't believe you just dry dusted it and the dust stuck. I do have to handle mine b/c it's a topper. I'll have to put it on the cake once the dust is all painted on. Not sure if dry dusting allows you to touch the piece.

Nancy_TX Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 5:09am

Thanks! Actually, the chalice is fondant. I was talking about the picture frame. I made those up as favors and they got handled quite a bit when I was bagging them and it stuck just fine. Like I said, wipe it with a paper towel first to take off the shiny finish, then dry dust. I do that with sea shells with the pearl dust and they turn out great. I think I have some examples on my website.

Fran72 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 7:16pm

I have done this several times for Marine Corps Birthday cakes and promotions. I use vodka and pearl dust but it has to be on the thicker side. It works great but it takes some patients to get the perfect mixture!

atemanli Posted 3 May 2013 , 8:22am

I like pearl jewelry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%