Frustrated...

Baking By pj22 Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 8:25pm by pj22

pj22 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 16

I just lost out on an order for 225 cupcake bouquets because I could not get the packaging right icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

The lady wanted to send them out to family and friends as baby announcements so I made pretty fondant baby-themed decorations as cupcake toppers. She loved the concept and the flavor and decorations but said the packaging was not neat and tidy.

I follow the cup method to make the cupcake bouquets (http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672414.html) since they are sturdier and don't topple off the toothpicks.

I used oval baskets and put 10 cupcakes in it, frosted with buttercream and wrapped cellophane from below and scrunched at top, tied with a ribbon. Some of the frosting got smudged on the sides because of that but I had no other option icon_sad.gif

Any ideas on how you guys package these cupcake bouquets?? They would slide around in a box and apart from giving them uncovered, I don't see any other option.

225 cupcake bouquets was a big order lost icon_sad.gif

15 replies
justsweet Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 16

I would have use a cake box that one no frosting is getting smudge.

You can try royal icing on the cupcake if you need to use wrap for the cupcakes but the only this to prevent smudge is putting in a box.

The box does not have to close completely enough where you can tape the side and then if you want you can wrap in cellophane wrap the customer will see the cupcake from open side of the box and nothing will get smashed.

Good luck

solascakes Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 16

I would have covered the cup cakes in fondant,not buttercream.

step0nmi Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 16

wait, so you were doing all of this staging and/or an example and AFTER that she said she didn't want to order? did you charge her for THAT time!? cuz in my book trying to make an example that doesn't work is just trouble shooting...sounds like someone needs to be more patient!

pj22 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 16

oh yes... I charged her for it of course! She saw the packaging then decided not to order the 225. I thought of fondant too but she didn't want fondant.

justsweet, I tried putting the bouquet in a box but it slid around... looks like there is no good way to package the bouquets icon_sad.gif

cakeyouverymuch Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 16

A piece of this under your container in the box and nothing would be moving. I buy it at the dollar store where it comes in several colors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KFSOFI/?tag=cakecentral-20

step0nmi Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

A piece of this under your container in the box and nothing would be moving. I buy it at the dollar store where it comes in several colors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KFSOFI/?tag=cakecentral-20

THIS STUFF DOES WONDERS! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pj22 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:17am
post #8 of 16

Thanks... I'll try this for a trial... hopefully the bouquet won't topple over or smudge when it touches the sides of the box...

To anyone who has made cupcake bouquets on order, how do you deliver the bouquets to the customer? Give them uncovered???

cakeyouverymuch Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:18am
post #9 of 16

I buy half a dozen rolls at a time and use it for everything. I use the plastic cutting mats (also bought at the dollar store) to roll out smaller pieces of fondant or gumpaste and they tend to slide around on the counters. With the grip mats they stay where I want them.

Cakeboards want to slide off the turntable? Grip mat holds them in place.

Having trouble opening a jar? Use a couple of squares of grip mat, one in each hand, and that lid will be off in no time.

I even have it rolled out between the matress and box spring on my bed so the matress doesn't slide when the dog (an oversize lab cross) does her flying leap from the floor to the bed.

step0nmi Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:37am
post #10 of 16

did you try adding styrofoam to the bottom of the box around the pot? that would also give it stability...even just bubble wrap

DianeLM Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 12:55am
post #11 of 16

I'd suggest something like this inside an appropriate sized box http://www.brpboxshop.com/cupcake-holder-dimensions.html. Wouldn't have to worry about tipping or sliding or smudging.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 1:03am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I'd suggest something like this inside an appropriate sized box http://www.brpboxshop.com/cupcake-holder-dimensions.html. Wouldn't have to worry about tipping or sliding or smudging.

How would that work with a cupcake bouquet where the cupcakes are on sticks set in a flower pot or other container?

mandymakescakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 1:48am
post #13 of 16

Visit your local florist? The last time my husband bought me flowers, the florist sent him home with a holder of sorts... similar to the single cupcake holder mentioned above, but larger and made out of heavier cardboard.

So let's see if I can talk you through what it might look like in a cake box... A rectangular piece of cardboard, the shorter dimension cut to fit the cake box, and the longer one about half the height of your flower pot (times two) added to the width of the cake box. Fold down the ends of the rectangle evenly so it looks table-like. Mark the center of the 'table' and measure out the diameter of your flower pot (half way up, remember). Cut a starburst into the 'table', put into the cake box and press your flower pot into the starburst. Nothing should move now. icon_biggrin.gif Message me if you need more detailed directions.

Hope that helps!

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 1:50am
post #14 of 16

I use boxes from here...
http://www.floral-box-supply.com/

I have never had an issue with them. I end up delivering just like they were flowers.

DianeLM Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 4:38am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

How would that work with a cupcake bouquet where the cupcakes are on sticks set in a flower pot or other container?

Well, the insert would have to fit the container and the box would have to fit the bouquet. Mandymakescakes explains it perfectly in the post above.

pj22 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you for the info!! Really appreciate it!

The florist boxes that you are mentioning... they would work well with vases I suppose? So do you stick the cupcakes in with toothpicks?

I made the bouquet in an oblong basket using the cup method. So would I place the basket in the cardboard disc then? and cover the cardboard disc/bouquet from below with cellophane wrap all around?

I hope I am clear enough!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%