How To Avoid A Feeding Frenzy At The Bridal Show

Business By Motta Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 2:28am by Motta

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 10

Help! I really want to give out samples at the bridal show in January. Many of the cake vendors I saw last year did not give out samples and I want an advantage over them. However, people become crazy when they see free food and I want to avoid the feeding frenzy.

How can I give my samples out without this happening? Anyone have a special technique? eg. boxed samples only? hide the samples until you want to give them to specific people?

9 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 10

Frenzy is caused by the samples being too close and accessible. Definitely have them visible but keep them out of reach.. maybe stack your cups under a glass dome.
If they don't think they can just grab and go without talking to you then you'll weed out those who are just grazing.

mommachris

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10

We've participated in a few gluten-free vendor fairs, and we cut and plated samples as they were requested (we baked a few sheet cakes in different flavors to give people a choice) so we can give an elevator pitch while the piece is being cut. This can result in a lot of people crowding around your booth, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 10

boxing/wrapping would be my suggestion. I attended a wedding show as a guest and it seemed that the frenzy was for two reason:
1) since the mini cupcakes weren't wrapped, ready to eat and there for the guests to grab, the guests just stood there and ate the samples
2) since there were multiple flavors, guests wanted to try all of them, adding to the guests just standing there and eating them. Make sense?

As we made our way downstairs we did come across a vendor cutting and serving their cake on a plate and giving you a fork. They told us their flavors and asked us which one we would like, cutting down on the multiple tasting of different flavors.

Walking around with a plate and fork is better than a cupcake liner. And for our show, the downstairs had chairs for the fashion show, so we were able to sit down.

Motta Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you both. I do have a 6 tier cupcake stand that could hold the samples out of reach. And it would double as advertising for the cupcake stand rental.

Jason, good point about crowding! I guess if it brings people to my booth then it's all good. Hmm.....may have re-think my strategy....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 10

Samples should be at the back of your booth, not the front.
I always put them in lidded souffle cups.
Don't put too many out at one time. If it looks like you've got plenty, they will take more than 1/2/6.
Put your table at the back of the booth area and stand in front of it. They have to talk to you to get to the samples.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 10

What about walking about with a tray of assorted mini cupcake samples. That way you can ask which flavor they would like to try and they have to talk to you.

Motta Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks Leah! More great advice.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah, when I was doing wedding cakes full time, I'd do 15 wedding shows a year. Srsly.

Motta Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 2:28am
post #10 of 10

Thanks kello! I like the idea of a tray - classy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%