Why Are My Cakes Too Fluffy

Baking By britishgrl Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 7:13am by JennTheCakeLadie

britishgrl Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:09am
post #1 of 5

So I've been having this problem.
I use the "durable cake for 3d carving" recipe. I like being able to modify a box mix specifically because I can do tons of flavors, without having to have 20 different recipes. I dont want to have tons of cake recipes for right now anyway.

Call it a shortcut....whatever.

Anyway, I have been having trouble with my cake because it seems like it has too much air in it. I work as a decorator at wal-mart and ive noticed their cakes have very few large bubbles in them. I very much like that about them, it makes them easier to carve etc.

When I have had to carve cakes, (I made a sculpted one recently) they seem either too soft or when theyre overdone they seem....tasteless.

So heres my question, (i didnt go to culinary school or anything) is there anything I can do to stop my cake mix from being too airy. Can I add a tiny bit of baking soda? What can I do to help this? I want a dense cake.

Any replies are very much appreciated.
Thanks for the help

4 replies
auntiecake Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

Maybe beat it at a slower speed. Run a knife through it before baking. Tap it on the counter and get rid of the extra air bubbles. Hope this helps.

Sunshine0063 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:16am
post #3 of 5

Do you freeze your cakes? I used to wrap mine when they were warm but have stopped because I didn't like them quite that moist and dense ( I like mine a little bit more lite and airy) so now I let them cool a little before I wrap and freeze.

MCurry Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:18am
post #4 of 5

How long are you mixing your cake batter? Is your oven temperature accurate? These are factors that impact the texture of the cake. Also, consider checking the comments under the recipe to see if anyone else had these problems.

Baking soda is a leavening agent for a cake which impact the rise of the cake. If too much is in a cake, it can have a bitter off putting taste.

JennTheCakeLadie Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:13am
post #5 of 5

Baking soda is definitely not the answer. If anything, it would make your cake lighter, not denser. I am notorious for whipping too much air into my cakes, because I am usually doing 10 things at once. Here are a couple of tips i find help with box cake mixes (yes, i have used them too)

1. Buy the good cake mix!!!! It is worth the extra buck to get brand name! I use Duncan Hines exclusively. Betty Crocker and store brand tend to have large air bubbles, no matter what I do.

2. Beat It! Once I pour my cake into the pan, I beat the pan on the counter/table, etc.. quite extensively. Basically i pick it up a couple of inches and drop it flat on the table, repeatedly. I keep doing that until the big bubbles stop rising to the top. (Note: this is only for boxed cake mix, lots of scratch cakes can be thoroughly ruined from doing this)

3. Freeze It! I take my cakes from the oven, let them cool, and throw them in the freezer still in the pan. Let them freezer overnight. This will give you a nice firm cake to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%