Now I Get What You Were All Talking About - Fondant Taste

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm by melanie-1221

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:18am
post #1 of 9

I couldn't understand what everyone here was talking about saying that no-one likes fondant, people just peel it off etc. The brand sold in grocery shops here, that I've always eaten, tastes just like chewy sugar, not a hint of chemicals. I can eat it by the handful.

I bought some Satin Ice, Regalice, and Pettinice to try out, thinking that they must be better - people here recommend different brands.

They're foul! I opened the Satin Ice bucket and it smelled just like commercial playdough, and didn't taste much better. The other two were slightly better, but still had a horrible chemical smell and taste. I wouldn't cover a cake with them and expect people to eat it.

So now I understand, apologize for thinking you were all insane, and will go back to the cheap shop brand that tastes good!

8 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 9

Hey mcaulir,

I know the brand you mean (fellow Australian here!)...that'd be Orchard Icing right? I've been using it too, but I have become frustrated with how soft it is...particularly when it stretches & tears as I'm trying to cover a cake. I find the consistency of Pettinice a lot easier to work with. Lately I've been mixing the two together...that way it tastes okay, and the Pettinice in there makes it much easier to use.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 9

I agree about the Satin Ice. The smell is well.... The taste is about the same.

mcaulir Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Hey mcaulir,

I know the brand you mean (fellow Australian here!)...that'd be Orchard Icing right? I've been using it too, but I have become frustrated with how soft it is...particularly when it stretches & tears as I'm trying to cover a cake. I find the consistency of Pettinice a lot easier to work with. Lately I've been mixing the two together...that way it tastes okay, and the Pettinice in there makes it much easier to use.

Yep, love my Orchard even more now. I actually find it fine to work with in Winter, but harder during more humid times. The Pettinice seemed quite soft to me, although it was a coloured variety, so maybe that's the difference.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9

If you can get it where you are, try getting some Fondarific or Fondx (or Fondx Elite). I love the workability and they taste pretty good too!

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 9

Yes the Bakels is softer in the coloured. I've been using Bakels white for a few years now and am quite happy with it, although I never eat it, I peel it off. Did try Satin Ice and it's far too soft for our humidity! I found it VERY frustrating to work with.

I've never thought of mixing Bakels with Orchard? must give it a go....icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 5:16am
post #7 of 9

Will try those next time I need to order something. I just can't get over how yuk they were.

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 9

You should definitely try fondx or fondarific. They have a marshmallowy taste that is very comparable to MMF. I also have always disliked the taste of fondant. It takes some getting used to, but Fondx/fondarific is excellent in taste and workability!

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

Fondarific is my favorite, tastes good and is great to work with. Worth the extra $$$.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%