I Wanna Start A Cake Competition!?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 4:09am by Sugarflowers

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:48am
post #1 of 4

I can't find anything on the internet about starting a cake competition icon_confused.gif I don't know if it's considered a business or not? But, i live in a small area and apparently there are a lot of bakers around. I think we could totally benefit from something being in our town since we have two major cities around us and not everyone can travel to those places.

anyone have any information about starting up competitions? Doesn't even have to be competitive it could just be a SHOW! where do I START!? icon_redface.gif

Thanks

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:32am
post #2 of 4

There is quite a bit of work to starting/having a show. You will need volunteers to help with the different things. You'll need rules, divisions, venue, expenses, judging, awards and ceremony, set up, clean up, and possibly insurance.

I suggest that you print the rules and entry forms of other shows to get some ideas. When writing your rules, be sure that they are not exact copies of another. Some rules have copyright protection.

I've wanted to have a show too, but there are several in Texas. I hope you can get a show going.

I would like to help you if I can. Please e-mail me if you would like.

Michele

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:05am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

There is quite a bit of work to starting/having a show. You will need volunteers to help with the different things. You'll need rules, divisions, venue, expenses, judging, awards and ceremony, set up, clean up, and possibly insurance.

I suggest that you print the rules and entry forms of other shows to get some ideas. When writing your rules, be sure that they are not exact copies of another. Some rules have copyright protection.

I've wanted to have a show too, but there are several in Texas. I hope you can get a show going.

I would like to help you if I can. Please e-mail me if you would like.

Michele

oh yay! this is the most information I've seen yet! i guess i had the other cake shows in my mind but didn't think about using them as a guide.

if it's just a "show" then there doesn't necessarily have to be awards and judges...right? icon_redface.gif

HOW do you get insurance for this type of thing??
Thank you Sugarflowers!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 4:09am
post #4 of 4

Sorry to take so long to respond. It's been a busy week.

It's possible to have a show with no ribbons. However, most people who enter shows expect to at least have a chance of winning a ribbon. It's a very competitive field and most want to see how they stack up against others. Also, if people have to pay to enter, they definitely expect ribbons. Unless you have unlimited funds and do not need help covering the cost of the show, you will need to charge entry fees.

You could do a poll on CC to ask if people would attend a show with no ribbons or not. This should help answer that question.

As for the insurance, most venues have insurance carriers to cover events. This is a preventative for lawsuits in case someone falls or gets hurt in some other way. I have no idea how much this runs. Some locations will have concession stands. The venue keeps that money, but they also provide the workers. It's a great thing to have available, but not necessary.

Most shows use any profits to donate to a charity. This also helps bring in visitors and entrants. People also love drawings for prizes. Many times you can get some great stuff donated for advertising space.

As for when to have a show check the times of shows on your state, large shows like the OSSAS in Tulsa, OK, "That Takes the Cake" in Austin, TX., and a couple of show in Virginia and/or Maryland. Also keep in mind when peak wedding seasons are and possible weather issues in your area for the time of year.

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of anything else I'll add to it.

I hope I'm not driving you crazy. icon_smile.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%