Please Help...house Warming Cake

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 1:48am by NanaSandy

NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 12

I am looking for some suggestions. Some friends of ours just bought a new home, and I am making a cake for them this weekend. The cake they want has Chocolate Ganache on the outside with no fondant. I am at a loss as to how to do the decorations on this cake? How do I make it look good with the Ganache as the "base" of the outside of the cake? I have used Ganache alot, however, I almost always cover with fondant. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
hema128s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:47am
post #2 of 12

would they be opposed to modeling chocolate? its a little more expensive but you could try filling and crumb coating the cake with whipped ganache and then cover with modeling chocolate just like you would fondant...

SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 12

What kind of decoration did you have in mind? I've seen several chocolate ganache cakes that look great with brushed embroidery, luster dusts, sugar flowers... a nice deep chocolate brown is a gorgeous color to work with! Or maybe even though the flavor is different you could do a white chocolate ganache?

NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:18am
post #4 of 12

Unfortunately, never worked with modeling chocolate. ? Been wanting to but a little intimidated by it. icon_cool.gif I was kind of wanting to put a small RKT house on top, but not sure how I would blend that in with a chocolate base? Maybe use some buttercream, for grass? They are not wanting the white chocolate ganache so that won't work. icon_sad.gif Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you ladies! You are the best!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 12

Hmm, is it a square cake or round? How big/tiers?

NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:31am
post #6 of 12

Round cake. Just a single tier. Probably just an 8 inch. There will only be a couple of people there to celebrate. She is inviting a few friends from church, and our Pastor to bless the house. So maybe tie that in somehow? I don't think I have ever been at such a loss as to what to do with a cake. Again, thank you for your input!! icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:08am
post #8 of 12

That is really cute! I actually was getting way too carried away and was thinking maybe do an 8" square cake and make it look like a moving box with packing tape or an address label. I tend to think way too grand sometimes icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:21am
post #10 of 12

I did a very simple but cute house warming cake. It was a 10" round. On the top was a replica of the front doors of the new home with the house number above it. The top and bottom borders were grass with a few flowers here and there and a couple of butterflies. I think grass green would look great against the darker ganache. Under the doors I wrote May God Bless Our Home. It was all very simple and cartoonish. It wasn't elegant, but that's what they wanted. Of course, I didnt take a picture. Because I'm an idiot!

doramoreno62 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:32am
post #11 of 12

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267760_2254113871249_1200363613_32707222_5644865_n.jpg

Mine was similar to this but they were front doors instead of a window.

NanaSandy Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:48am
post #12 of 12

Thank you sooooo much for the links! I am kind of wanting to put a small RKT house on top. Either that or I really like the idea of the mailbox. How do you think they supported that on top of the dowels? I guess that is what those are? After looking thru the pics, I think I have a good idea of what to do. If I can get the upload to work, I will post a pic once I have it done this weekend. I have been having problems uploading pics lately, so no promises. icon_rolleyes.gif But again, thank you everybody for your help! If anybody else has another idea, please let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%