Writing A Business Plan

Business By kelsiedelizzle Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 3:19am by jason_kraft

kelsiedelizzle Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 3

For my entrepreneurship class, we have to write a business plan as our big semester project. Since I want to open up my own business after college anyway, this is something I'm taking pretty seriously.

I've read a lot of different threads and articles about writing business plans about bakeries, but most of them are about retail stores and bread bakeries.

My business idea is to make cakes from my home (or rather, a commercial kitchen on my property because that's how Georgia laws work, I believe) and focus on wedding and novelty cakes, as well as special ordered cupcakes, cookies, and cake balls. I don't want to hire any other employees, at least not until I've been in business for a while and can afford it.

I don't want to have a store front and I really don't want to have a high volume of products; focusing on quality cakes rather than quantity.

Does anyone have an experience writing a business plan for this type of business? Any advice or suggestions you can offer me? Anything and everything will help!

2 replies
Jamie_L Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #2 of 3

I don't have any experience writing a business plan for this business but I have taught entrepreneurship classes. Did your class go over all the information that needed to be included in your business plan?? If not I could see if I still have the information that could help you with your business plan. I have not taught that course in a few years but I probably still have all the info.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 3

The basic structure of a business plan for a retail bakery shouldn't be too different from an appt only shop without a storefront. In fact, as part of your plan you'll probably want to include adding a storefront as a potential expansion strategy, and for projections of future overhead costs you'll need to do research on commercial rents and employees anyway. bplans.com is a good place to start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%