Freestanding Range With Double Ovens

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 4:31am by mom2twogrlz

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone out there have a freestanding range with double-ovens? Looked at some today, thinking it would be a HUGE time-saver to be able to bake 2 cakes at once. But, I'm wondering if cake can be baked in the smaller top oven? The rack in that oven is awfully close to the heating element! Just wondering if any of you have this sort of range/oven and use it for baking? Believe me, I would LOVE to let my DH purchase it for me, but I don't want to make a mistake and get something I can't use for cakes! Thanks for any advice!

15 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 16

I don't have this set up but would like one very much!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 16

Honestly if it were me I would probably invest in a decent quality convection oven before I would the double ovens. You're right about the rack being so close to the element. We used to have a working model in our showroom and I used the small oven for toasting things, casseroles (usually covered in foil so they wouldn't overbrown), or I would lower the temp considerably. I would toss biscuits or quickbreads in there since several of them could bake at a higher temp in a shorter time.

I have a Bosch freestanding electric range with convection and I positively love it. I can put cakes on at least 2 racks, turn on the convection, and bake a 9x13, 2 8" rounds or squares, a 10" square and 2 6" rounds at the same time without problems.

I could go on more about my range (warming drawer instead or storage or second oven- LOVE IT!, meat probe connected to oven so it will turn off when food is done, proofing mode, dehydrate mode) but since you're more interested in the baking aspect I won't. I definitely take full advantage of mine since I cook and bake like crazy.

If I were you and you didn't want to go major big bucks like Viking, Dacor, etc, I would probably look at a GE Monogram, Kitchenaid, or Bosch model. If those are still too expensive, look at a higher end Kenmore or Whirlpool Gold.

And just because it says convection doesn't mean it does it well. It's all about where the elements are, where the fan is, which way the air is forced...

If you want more info, feel free to ask. I used to sell appliances and I truly do miss it. icon_smile.gif

I

mommymarilyn Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 16

Wow - thanks Sammi for all the great info! Would you mind a few more questions? We are looking at a Maytag Gemini and it does say that it's a "True" convection system, but on the lower oven only. Does that mean that I could bake cakes on more than one rack in the lower oven? Even that would be a great improvement on my really ancient oven. Right now I can only bake on the uppermost rack. This Maytag range/oven is about $1500, so that's why I'm really questioning the utilization of the second oven. My husband wants to get it anyway because we do have a large family and I would be able to use it a lot for family meals, but for caking I'm wondering if it would be better to go with double wall oven. Thanks so much for any help you can give me! You're such a doll!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 16

I have a double oven (Frigidaire Professional Series). Anytime I bake something in the smaller oven it gets overdone on the bottom. I don't like it for cake and breads.

mommymarilyn Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks - that's what I was worried about. icon_sad.gif
I'm hoping the fact that it is convection on the lower oven will still allow me to bake more cakes at one time than I can in my extremely ancient one!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 16

I have a duel fuel (say that fast 5x) double oven and I love it. The smaller one is on the side of my bigger oven so I can put smaller cakes or breads in it and I can put 3 cookie sheets or 6 cakes (10"). It also has a convection mode and a regular bake mode. I've never burned anything and have had great success with it. For any of my bigger cakes, I've got an outside double door commercial oven. I love it in the summer...no hot kitchen for me : )

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 16

I have a GE Profile double oven and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I have no problems with burning in either oven. I have convection if I choose to use it, but I haven't yet. Don't need to. It has been the perfect timesaver. Most of my cakes are 10 and 6 inches so I stick a 10 and a 6 in each oven and bake away. I have no problems with burning.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 16

Man, what I wouldn't give for a dual fuel range. (sigh) That's the stuff dreams are made of. I swear, that was my favorite appliance in our showroom. I could cook/bake a ridiculous amount of food at the same time on that sucker. We had a 60" dual fuel Dacor Range, with 8 burners, and a griddle accessory. I would come in an cook breakfast or lunch for the store once a week.

I would love a double oven too, but unfortunately availability for those in a freestanding 30" range are pretty slim. They have their purposes though. I sent you a PM on the details MommyMarilyn. icon_smile.gif

vtroy62078 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtroy62078 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 16

Frigidaire has a new freestanding double oven that is two large ovens. They call it Symmetry. The upper oven is convection; but the lower oven is the same size and large enough to handle a second cake. You might want to check it out.

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/kitchen/gas-electric-ranges/fgef306tmf

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 16

That oven looks AHMAZINNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:41am
post #12 of 16

I have a Maytag Gemini with double ovens and I love them! I haven't had any problems with anything burning in the top oven, but I usually bake at 300 or 325, never any higher.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:42am
post #13 of 16

I have a Maytag Gemini with double ovens and I love them! I haven't had any problems with anything burning in the top oven, but I usually bake at 300 or 325, never any higher.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:10am
post #14 of 16

I have the GE Profile double and bake all the time in the top oven, and when I have lots to do, I'll bake in the bottom as well. Works great! I probably use the top oven 85% of the time for everything.

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:56am
post #15 of 16

I have Maytag double oven. bake in them all time with no problems. HTH

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:31am
post #16 of 16

I just got the Kitchenaid freestanding double oven and can't wait to get it installed. Of course I have to wait until my house is done being completely gutted and remodeled. UUUGGG!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%