Two 6" Pans In The Oven - One Came Out Underbaked!

Baking By tsal Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 12:20am by saffronica

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 11

I put in two 6" pans with the same batter in my oven this morning. One was fine and the other obviously underbaked. They both tested done with my metal tester (I am switching to wooden skewers).

Am I supposed to rotate the pans during baking or switch them around? I have a relatively new LG oven. I'm so underwhelmed with it!

10 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 11

Did you measure out your batter? Perhaps one had a bit more than the other. If the pans were on the same rack, you shouldn't need to move them. If they arn't, than I would definatly switch them half way through.

icer101 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 11

I baked 3 8" carrot cake layers this morning at same time and they all 3 baked just right at same time. I wish i knew why yours did not.

pmarks0 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 11

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for your problem, but I recently switched from metal skewers to bamboo skewers (since they're longer than toothpicks) because I felt that they were giving me false "doneness" when I was testing. Since I switched to wooden, I feel more confident that my baked goods are getting done properly.

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 11

I'm thinking that one side of my oven does not bake as well as the other side.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 11

One side of my oven is hotter than the other. Maybe you could test it by baking a tray of cookies and seeing which side burns first.

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 11

Costumeczar: should i have it serviced? is this something that can be serviced or is it more of a 'live with it' problem?

i bought this oven a year ago and i'm really not happy with it. it was replaced once and i'm still not happy.

I don't think i'll ever buy or recommend an LG appliance again - I bought a dishwasher at the same time and it sucks too.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 11

I'm not sure, but I think it's probably a live with it problem. Most ovens have a hot spot, you just have to figure out where it is. For me it's the bottom left rear corner. Things that I put in that spot tend to bake faster and more unevenly, so I have to be careful to rotate the pans. It probably has something to do with where the heating element in the stove is located. Mine has a sealed bottom so I can't see for sure, but that would be my guess.

tsal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 11

When i just have one pan in the oven, it works very nicely, but whenever I try to bake two or more at the same time = not good.

it will take me forever to bake a cake if i bake each pan separately. ugh.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 11

That's really weird. Try rotating them halfway through the baking time, that could help.

saffronica Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:20am
post #11 of 11

A great way to test for hot spots is to line a cookie sheet with bread, then bake it (or broil it) until the bread toasts. You may end up with some bread still pale while other parts are burned, but at least you'll know what's happening where.

Quote by @%username% on %date%