What Kind Of Cake To Use When Doing Layered/3D Cakes!!!

Decorating By jdawnj1984 Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 12:14pm by cakesrock

jdawnj1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdawnj1984 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone I am super new to the whole cake thing, I have done cakes for myself. But I want to learn how to do wedding cakes and things, but I do not know what kind of cake to use, what's the best for stability. Also does anyone have a great recipe? There are allllll kinds of recipe's on here but I just don't know what one to use!!!
Thanks so much!
Jennifer icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5

The inbly recipes that don't wirk well for wedding cakes are super fluffy cakes like angel food or super wet cakes tire tres leches- otherwise most varieties of cakes work fine for wedding cakes so long as you are using an internal support system. For carving I prefer pound cake or other dense recipes.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:05am
post #3 of 5

For wedding cakes, you can use any kind of cake, as long as you use the correct support. For carving, I would use a denser cake recipe that will stand up to the carving. icon_biggrin.gif

jdawnj1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdawnj1984 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 5

There are some great recipes on this site. For scratch, I use the Hershey's chocolate one if I want to carve- it's the best. For doctored mixes, WASC is a good all 'round carving/stacking cake too... Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%