Any Ideas How This Cake Is Made?

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm by cakeyouverymuch

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 7

Attaching a picture of a cake someone created, and they are from Cake Central. I have tried to email them, but no answer so far...

I am wondering if the cake is carved in this shape? Any tips or ideas on how to make something like this would be appreciated.

6 replies
kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1248134
Sorry, the pic did not want to attach... Here is the link.

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 7

In the comments she says she used 9x13's for the base and to carve the cake. She says she had a lot of cake left over after carving the cigarette. HTH! Btw, happy belated birthday! My husband's is on the same day icon_smile.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

The answer to your question is in the comments below the cake; eight comments down

Danielle111 says:

Thanks guys! I really think it was a great idea, too - you don't get many requests like this!

Merciermom - I used 9x13s for both the marble base and the cigarette. Had LOTS of leftovers from carving the cigarette...

July 26th, 2008

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7

How about using half circle cakes for the cigarette?! You still have to do a little carving where the cigarette is bent though.
Just my two cents, HTH! icon_smile.gif

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

How about using half circle cakes for the cigarette?! You still have to do a little carving where the cigarette is bent though.
Just my two cents, HTH! icon_smile.gif

I agree.

While it would be a lot of 6" rounds, seems like that would be more sensible.

Make a round, then just slice it in half, then put it upright on the side you cut and put them in a row.

As far as volume per inch, it would still be the same amount of cake and it would require hardly no carving at all.

When it comes to the turn, you could slice the half from end to end from corner to corner and then flip one of the halves around. This way you have more on one end and less on the other, which would start producing a "turn". This way you don't lose cake at all.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7

How many six inch cake pans would that take, and how many bakings?

If the base cake is 9x13 and two half six inch rounds side by side is 12 inches the base cake would not be wide enough to have the cigarette the way it is in the original. You'd still have to carve while working with a lot of smaller pieces that you'd have to put filling between. A good deal more work than carving the cigarette from a 9x13.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%