Teaching Cake Decorating Classes From Home???

Business By andi_cakes Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 12:02am by kakeladi

andi_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi_cakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 9

I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on teaching cake decorating classes. I live in California and I know that you can't have a home bakery. My idea is to have a small side business as a traveling cake decorating teacher?! Has anyone done this before? Any advice is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:04am
post #2 of 9

I like doing this. It has been spotty do far, but it is fun.

Figuring out what to charge is a tough one. Your local economy kind of dictates what people are willing to pay. I charge by person. If I have to travel very far, then I charge traveling expenses.

A web site is a good way to let the world know about your business. The key words you use for web crawlers will make big difference.

I like to teach based on what the students have and what they want to learn. Having a teaching outline is great for classes that span over several days or weeks. Teaching a few basics for a one day class seems to work well.

Good luck with your plans.

Michele

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 9

From a legal standpoint in CA you should be OK as long as you are using the customer's kitchen. We used to offer classes (specialty baking and decorating at $60/hour), there is so much prep involved it turned out to be more profitable making cakes. But if you don't have commercial space it could be a viable option.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 9

Another option is to also teach through local adult ed programs. They take care of all the administrative work and advertising. From there, you can build a following and gain more students interested in private lessons.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 9

It is not recommended that one teach in *their* home but for you to travel to a student's home.
I just finished teaching up to 6 Amish ladies. The one most interested opened her home to her relatives and I traveled abut 45 minutes to her house.
It was well worth it to me for the 1st few sessions as there were 6 @$20 ea but as the class dwindled down to just 2 it was no longer worth my gas.
I already had lesson plans from when I taught yrs ago so there wasn't them much prep for me.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 9

kakeladi wrote

"It was well worth it to me for the 1st few sessions as there were 6 @$20 ea but as the class dwindled down to just 2 it was no longer worth my gas. "

The way to avoid this is to have a set cost for a set number of weeks. The onus is then on the student to attend or not. When I took art lessons I (and others in the class) always had to pay for the 10 weeks of classes in advance. If we lost interest and failed to attend we did not get a refund.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

teach through local adult ed programs

This is an excellent suggestion. If your local park department offers courses, check out the possibility of teaching with them. Another possibility is teaching through a kitchen supplies store- ones in a boutique area would be the best choice.
One session classes would be best for that, i.e. Christmas Cookies, a package cake, etc. Just make sure you use items the store sells in your presentation.

andi_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi_cakes Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 9

These are all really great suggestions... thank you so much! I think I'm going to look into all of these options. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 12:02am
post #9 of 9

kakeladi wrote: "It was well worth it to me for the 1st few sessions as there were 6 @$20 ea but as the class dwindled down to just 2 it was no longer worth my gas. "........
........cakeyouverymuch replied: The way to avoid this is to have a set cost for a set number of weeks. The onus is then on the student to attend or not............

I am very well aware of thaticon_smile.gif These ladies just could not make up their minds as to what they wanted to learn. They just wanted to improve what they already knew.....And I hadn't taught in some 8 yrs - was just chomping at the bit to get back into teaching & wasn't prepared/didn;t think it out much at all icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%