My Interview In Which I Am Outed As A Cupcake Hater

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 64

I keep getting comments from people that this interview was really funny, but I don't get it, I was serious icon_confused.gif http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/2011/nov/07/5-questions-foodie-kara-buntin-ar-1435687/

63 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 64

Great article! thumbs_up.gif I think maybe you and I were separated at birth. I, too, am a picky eater who loves potato chips, bakes from scratch, and could live on chocolates and pastries!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 64

I loved this interview Kara..........thanks for sharing!!

Maybe people are used to "sugar coated" interviews, and are a bit confused by hearing someone be true to themselves instead of saying what they think people want to hear.

I try not to keep chips in the house btw............

Best,
Kat

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:37am
post #4 of 64

Kara, I could have written your reply myself. I cringed when a friend asked me to make three dozen cupcakes for his Halloween party. I don't like them either, and I hate the term "cuppies." I told some good friends about that the other day, and they laughed hysterically. So of course the night I baked all those Halloween cupcakes, I sent one of those friends a text message that said my kitchen was infested with them. I was being serious!!!

I would rather bake and decorate a 20 foot tall wedding cake than one cupcake. Incidentally, I am baking some for a colleague's birthday on Friday. thumbsdown.gif

I don't like cake pops either. Or sauerkraut. LOL.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:38am
post #5 of 64

I do love how honest your answers are. My favorite thing I've ever read of yours was when you wrote about how many cakes you bake in your oven at a time--stuffing them in, and even turning some on their sides if they were close to done. You have inspired me to bake more at a time! Thank you! And I love your points about cupcakes being obnoxious. I only bake for a hobby, but transporting cupcakes can be such a pain!

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:41am
post #6 of 64

Oh let's not get into transporting or handling them. They bounce all over the damn place and they are very awkward and top-heavy.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:42am
post #7 of 64

"People are so used to bad desserts they have no idea what they're missing"... freaking brilliant!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 3:51am
post #8 of 64

Kara, I agree with you on every point. I'm a very picky eater as well, especially desserts. My youngest son requested that I NOT make cupcakes for his class party. He said they were too messy and hard to eat. That was ten years ago. I agreed with him. I hate making cupcakes and I don't really understand the craze, especially for weddings.

Excellent article.

Michele

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:05am
post #9 of 64

Another brilliant quote...." if you wouldn't put Crisco on your toast, why do you want to eat an icing that's only Crisco and no butter?" I love that.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:22am
post #10 of 64

Love it, people are more into cheap than into quality

Reading labels is something that noone really does anymore, but in the end, what they are putting into their children's stomachs is a laboratory, nothing antural anymore, and then wonder, why their children have allergies, get sick, get obese

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 64

I'm glad that I'm not alone!

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburkett

Another brilliant quote...." if you wouldn't put Crisco on your toast, why do you want to eat an icing that's only Crisco and no butter?" I love that.

If you're only using Crisco and no butter in an icing, then you're doing it wrong. In fact, my icing has NO Crisco at all!

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburkett

If you're only using Crisco and no butter in an icing, then you're doing it wrong.

I agree, but there's a lot of wrong-doing out there in cakeland! icon_wink.gif

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 64

Oh, One More Thing:

Kara was quoted as saying "I don't like eating with my hands, and I don't like getting crumbs all over myself, so cupcakes are right up there on my no-fly list." And yet she eats potato chips? Is it only things that are eaten by hand that also have crumbs? Potato chips can have crumbs unless you shove the entire thing into your mouth and clamp down your lips before you chew...and often the salt falls off too--kinda like crumbs! :O)

I guess she's missing out on the joy that is a taco, or a burrito, or buffalo chicken wings, finger-food appetizers, french fries, a hamburger, sliders, and even the occasional hot dog to name a few.

I have no problem with someone not liking cupcakes, but gosh, if she has a problem eating with her hands, which are the original utensils, that's quite an issue to have! Poor Kara!

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 64
Quote:

Oh, One More Thing:

Kara was quoted as saying "I don't like eating with my hands, and I don't like getting crumbs all over myself, so cupcakes are right up there on my no-fly list." And yet she eats potato chips? Is it only things that are eaten by hand that also have crumbs? Potato chips can have crumbs unless you shove the entire thing into your mouth and clamp down your lips before you chew...and often the salt falls off too--kinda like crumbs! :O)

I guess she's missing out on the joy that is a taco, or a burrito, or buffalo chicken wings, finger-food appetizers, french fries, a hamburger, sliders, and even the occasional hot dog to name a few.

I have no problem with someone not liking cupcakes, but gosh, if she has a problem eating with her hands, which are the original utensils, that's quite an issue to have! Poor Kara!

Well, I'm right here so you can talk to me and not about me. But I'll continue in the third person if it makes you happy.

Kara doesn't like tacos, hamburgers or burritos due to the nasty ground beef in them, so no problem. She definitely doesn't eat buffalo wings (what's the point of gnawing on a bone for that little ROI of meat), and Kara does eat some things with her hands but she also uses a napkin to wipe her greasy fingers on if need be. That is called civilization icon_rolleyes.gif She does not feel like not eating any of the aforementioned foods is a problem, since there are many other things in the world to eat, and too many burritos give you a big buttito.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Oh, One More Thing:

Well, I'm right here so you can talk to me and not about me. But I'll continue in the third person if it makes you happy.

Kara doesn't like tacos, hamburgers or burritos due to the nasty ground beef in them, so no problem. She definitely doesn't eat buffalo wings (what's the point of gnawing on a bone for that little ROI of meat), and Kara does eat some things with her hands but she also uses a napkin to wipe her greasy fingers on if need be. That is called civilization icon_rolleyes.gif She does not feel like not eating any of the aforementioned foods is a problem, since there are many other things in the world to eat, and too many burritos give you a big buttito.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh that stupid laughing emoticon doesn't do it justice...I'm rolling!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 64

Fabricgirl,
You are new here...meet Kara...she's a smart woman, fantastic decorator, freely gives advice that is not sugar-coated and always to the point.

And she'd rather you talk to her directly. She's a direct kind of person icon_smile.gif

I'm sure you can gain so much from her vast wealth of cake experience. So now that we all know each other. Let's play nice.
icon_biggrin.gif

mommachris

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:10pm
post #18 of 64

Hey FabricGal, I do have a question, and I mean this in total sincerity, I 'm not being snotty. I was wondering if you know how common the all-crisco icing is on this site and just in general. Seriously, I'm curious, since you said that about doing something wrong if you only use crisco in your icing, which I agree with unless you're going vegan.

You said that your buttercream is all butter, which I assume is some kind of a meringue buttercream, which a lot of people on here don't use. I also notice that you're relatively new to this site post-wise, so I don't know if you've noticed the number of recipes for "buttercreams" on here that are totally crisco-based. If you want to be shocked go take a look at some of the recipes in the icing section and see the ingredients that people put in them. It's kind of like watching a horror movie when you read all about the crisco and coffee creamers. It's some scary stuff.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Fabricgirl,
You are new here...meet Kara...she's a smart woman, fantastic decorator, freely gives advice that is not sugar-coated and always to the point.

And she'd rather you talk to her directly. She's a direct kind of person icon_smile.gif

I'm sure you can gain so much from her vast wealth of cake experience. So now that we all know each other. Let's play nice.
icon_biggrin.gif

mommachris

Well thank you! I'm a nice person, I don't bite. If you're scared just dress up like a cupcake and I'll definitely not bite you. icon_wink.gif

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 64

Kara - what do you suggest doing for an out of town wedding instead of cupcakes? My daughter is getting married next year and I was going to make a small "cutting" cake for her and her (then) husband and then cupcakes for the guests. Since the wedding will be outdoors I thought it would be easier (no plates, no forks, no clean-up). What would you do in this situation? There will be a reception the following month, in which a cupcake will not show it's face....but I need to give those that are going to the wedding something....maybe pretty cookies?

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:48pm
post #21 of 64

Can I just say ...Please read the ingredients on your Oreo cookie and potato chip pkg..lol a total crisco treat...the frosting inside the Oreos is completely fake and both of these Are full of chemicals and very crumby and both as far as I know are eaten with your hands!

I'm not your judge as we all have different tastes but you stated that you didn't understand why people thought your interview was funny.. I had never seen it until you posted the link for us...it just seemed to me that you were trying to be funny because you call your self a food purist not liking chemicals that bakeries use or eating with your hands then you end your interview stating that your 2 favorite foods are Oreos and potato chips that are both full of chemicals and neither are eaten with a fork!

I'm not trying to be rude ..you asked for our opinion ! We all have different tastes...and live and let live and to each his own I say! If a Bride wants cupcakes on her special day so be it she's paying and it's her party...I don't buy every thing at the Mall either but I understand others may have a different taste than I do and that's ok! I can not stand Oreos or Dark chocolate but that is my choice but if someone came to me wanted dark chocolate dipped Oreos for a reception...I would supply them happily no judgement here! Like i said We all have different tastes and opinions and we are Entitled to them!

When people feel knocked ...cupcake bakers etc and they see a interview like this they will get offended! That's where some of the heated messages come from probably! There is room for all of us ..even self proclaimed cupcake haters that don't like to eat with their hands or use any additives or chemicals in their baking and calls themself a food purist but pronounce their favorite snacks are
Processed Oreos and potato chips...your words! I would have thought you were trying to be funny too! The way you knocked Shortening based icings and all Oreos are is shortening sugar and chemicals in the white icing filling...but you can order and eat and bake any way you want...there is room for all of us yay America! You just seemed confused at why people thought you were being funny in your serious interview ...and that's just my opinion ..to each his own I am not judging you at all just making an observation...since you asked ...Have a wonderful day!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:25pm
post #22 of 64
Quote:

OMGLMAO!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Funniest response I have ever seen you post!

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:29pm
post #23 of 64

hahaha! That's why oreos and potato chips are a GUILTY pleasure. It's not like I sit around and eat them all the time. I'm fully aware of how crappy they are for you, and I don't like to eat them, but when the salt calls I must answer! I usually don't even buy them at all becasue I know that if I bring them into the house they'll be gone. But I must say, there's a bag of chips that's been here for a week and it's not finished yet, and I don't even want any. I must be losing my touch.

Some of the people in the other foodie interviews say things like "I love to eat spam in the dark with a spoon" so guilty is guilty. icon_rolleyes.gif

As far as being offended, I said before and I'll say it again...if I don't do cupcakes it just means more business for you!

CrescentMoon, if I was in the position of having to travel with a cake I'd just do separate cakes and maybe arrange them on footed stands to make a nice display. I'd think that it would be harder to travel with a bunch of cupcakes since they tend to get smashed. If you did a few different cakes of various sizes and arranged them on a dessert table kind of arrangement that would make a nice display and they'd be easy to box up and transport.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #24 of 64

Hey, I just noticed that the mods moved this to the cupcake forum from the general forum, which is where I posted it. I'm going to pm somebody to see if it can be moved back. So it's not my fault that it's here now! icon_rolleyes.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:41pm
post #25 of 64

I'm sure that was intentional.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

I'm sure that was intentional.

yeah, just because it has "cupcake" in the title of the post doesn't mean it should go there!

AnnieCahill Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:54am
post #27 of 64

I hate buffalo wings too. I never understood all that work for such a small reward.

Edited to add that I totally eat pizza with a fork, after I have used a half a roll of paper towels blotting off all the grease. A good friend of mine eats french fries and pulled pork sandwiches with a fork. I also wrap my finger in a napkin before touching an ATM. And I always use the protective a$$ gaskets in public bathrooms. There. Those are my darkest secrets.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:01am
post #28 of 64

What a strange thread. So, let me add my .02. I don't like crisco based buttercream to be called BUTTER cream, when there is no butter. Call it frosting. And just cause you have always called it buttercream, well, it still isn't. I actually don't really like oreos, but I eat them. Why? Cause they are there for the kids to eat, so why not. I HATE dark chocolate and in general only like chocolate with other stuff, such as a Reese's cup or with a strawberry. I only like meringue buttercreams, and I certainly don't get offended on here with the many that just flat out don't like SMBC or IMBC. OH and I like cupcakes to eat, but don't make them, well, cause I just don't care to transport them. And I eat all finger foods. Love me some burritos, but I view my butt more on the buffalo side then the buttito side. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:26am
post #29 of 64

Okay, now that the thread is back where it should be the offendedness is in the backseat and the weird is coming out, hahahaha! Good to know that I'm not the only one with strange food habits!

I blot my pizza too, if it's too greasy!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:32am
post #30 of 64
Quote:

Okay, now that the thread is back where it should be the offendedness is in the backseat and the weird is coming out, hahahaha! Good to know that I'm not the only one with strange food habits!

I blot my pizza too, if it's too greasy!

Oh I am totally offended again. My food habits are NOT strange...though I do blot my pizza, but for the most part, I don't even like pizza, but will eat it, cause it saves me from cooking dinner. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%