Get It Together To Do A Bridal Show - In 3 Weeks???

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm by kakeladi

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Peeps, I need some advice. I have never done a bridal show. So last week I contacted Great Bridal Expo to get information about doing one in the future. There is a show here downtown SF November 27. Little over three weeks. Apparently they have NO cake vendor. So to my surprise, they have offered me a big discount if I agree to be a vendor and give out samples. They anticipate at least 2000 people.

So here are my questions:

Are bridal shows worth it?

Do I have any chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of getting my act together to do a massive bridal show in a little over 3 weeks? I have a very light month scheduled, so I don't currently have any large events or orders booked until then. I could easily do 3 dummies and bake my samples in that time frame.

When you give out samples, what do you normally do? I was thinking I'd do do 3 or 4 sheet cakes, throw on some buttercream then cut into squares to give out - or do you do mini cupcakes? How many samples does 1 sheet cut into? I've never actually done one.

How many helpers do you normally enlist?

Thanks for any advice,

Jen

3 replies
kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 4

I have always baked sheets and cut them as needed to pass out. This past weekend, however, I did a cupcake tower. Not having any help this made life much easier for me. I had more time to talk with each bride etc. Down side, I found the cupcakes way more work to prepare than sheets, but it looked fantastic.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 4

I read Leah_s and Indydebi say that the best way to hand out samples is to put the pieces of cake in those 1 oz. cups with lids so you don't have a mess on the table and can hand out samples while talking to other brides etc.

And I also remember reading that these shows are great for networking... any bridal orders you get are "the gravy" icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 4

...........Are bridal shows worth it? ..........
Some are and some are not. I would think that one would be good - especially if you are the only cake vendor. Just be aware most promotors over estimate how many people will attend. Can they supply you w/the name of any former venders who you can talk to in order to get more accurate info?
Doesn't hurt to have a dummy or two of cakes other than weddings - groom's, shower & even b'day....the people that come w/the bride often will later order other event cakes icon_smile.gif

........Do I have any chance of getting my act together to do a massive bridal show in a little over 3 weeks? I could easily do 3 dummies and bake my samples in that time frame...........
You answered your own ? icon_smile.gif

.......When you give out samples, what do you normally do? I was thinking I'd do do 3 or 4 sheet cakes, throw on some buttercream then cut into squares to give out - or do you do mini cupcakes? How many samples does 1 sheet cut into? I've never actually done one......

When I did mine in CA I did as you suggested. I think I have like 6 1/2 sheets in different flavors; I started cutting into 2x2x2 sqs but most people didn't want that much. The time of the event was such they had just come from brunch or planned on going out for lunch. I ended up giving pieces about 1x1x1 - yes, just a bite really but that's what they wanted. I had a sign up as to what the flavor being served was. Some people would come back when another flavor was offeredicon_smile.gif

When I came to IN it is required that the servings be in covered container - basically nut cups. Again, we baked sheet cakes; split, filled, & cut, then threwing tiny pieces about 1x2x2 into the cup; squirted a dab of icing on and covered them. I did this the day before. Made up stick on lables w/cake flavor & company name, address and phone. This does not present pretty but when the HD is breathing down your neck it needs to be done *their* way icon_sad.gif We put out trays of cups w/two flavors at a time for the people to choose from. Provided fork or spoon & napkin if they wanted to eat now. Many took home for groom &/or to eat later.

........How many helpers do you normally enlist?..........
Several would be helpful. At very least one to give you breaks from time to time. They need to knowledgeble about your usual ways......sign up people for cake tastings/appointments etc.; be able to say how many servings from 'this' cake or how much it costs. I eventually made up cards w/that info that were placed on/next to the cake....small business card sizes....name of cake style etc. {I named each cakeicon_smile.gif }

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%