Double Layer Of Fondant??

Decorating By B7jac Updated 11 Dec 2015 , 2:50pm by efatrie

B7jac Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone do this? I recently went to a wedding (i didnt make the cake) and as a beginner cake maker obviously had a good look at the cake, which had a perfect finish, i was impressed and felt that i'd never get to this standard! However when the cake was cut and i looked closely at it, the fondant was at least half to three quarters of an inch thick! it appeared to be two layers as one was white and the other ivory! is this a trick to get it smooth or just a freak!!!

8 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 9

well, could have been a couple things.

Some people prefer to use a very thin layer of buttercream and a thicker layer of fondant to get a smooth even finish. Sharon Zambito teaches this method in her dvds.

Or it could have been that whoever made the cake realized after they covered it that they used the wrong color and instead of taking it off and applying the correct color, they just laid the correct color over the wrong one. Stuff happens, we're all human after all.

iwantcookies Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 9

They may also have put a layer of marzipan first, then the fondant on top, which is why the first coat looked ivory.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 9

The ivory layer could also have been a layer of white chocolate ganache.

Periperi Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 9

From the sounds of it, it was probably crumb coated w/ white chocolate ganache and then covered in fondant.

B7jac Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 9

After i posted this i did think that it could have been marzipan (although didnt taste of it) and it is not usually used over sponge is it? but def wasnt buttercream (i do crumb coat mine with bc) I am adamant that it was two layers of fondant as they looked the same apart from the colour variation and were quite 'stuck' together. So maybe it was a mistake as you say, i just wondered if this was a way of getting a perfect finish!

Periperi Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 9

The thing with fondant is that it mirrors the imperfections underneath it. If her 1st layer of fondant was imperfect, I don't see how a 2nd layer would've fixed it. Hmmmm my curiosity is peaked.

LisaPeps Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 9

On my winter wonderland cake, I used two layers of fondant on the bottom cake because the first layer of fondant had imperfections. The second layer covered my imperfections perfectly, and the judges actually commented on how excellent my coating of fondant was. When cut the two layers of fondant 'melted' together and you couldn't see a seam between them. I used White chocolate ganache as a crumb coat and when it was served people asked if it was marzipan. So they do look quite alike.

I don't do this as a standard. Only when there are imperfections and I don't want to mess up my layer of ganache. I usually roll my fondant really thin anyway so the two layers doesn't make that much of a difference.

efatrie Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 9

Understand that this is an old thread. I am contemplating to lay another layer of fondant on my fondant cake because it is very sticky and wet now. I am not sure if it's because I've covered the cake a few hours after a huge downpour, or I accidentally brushed on too much water on the chocolate ganache.

Anyone knows if 2 layers of fondant will work? I am also having huge air bubbles on the existing fondant layer. Anyone has similar experience to share?

Quote by @%username% on %date%