Website Reviews

Business By annie84 Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 3:46am by chocolate_luvr

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

My website has finally been finished! A year in the making because I'm a huge procrastinator. I now have 2 weeks to go back to the developers with any changes I would like. So I'm looking for some opinions from all of you in the cake world. I already know that I would like the photo section to be more prominant and be divided up between the types of cakes and some other minor photo things. But what does everyone else think? Anything else to change?

www.wellingtoncakes.ca

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

The site looks great from a graphic design perspective, I do have a few usability recommendations.

Ideally you will want useful information to be "above the fold", i.e. on the first screen of each web page so scrolling down is not mandatory. The image slideshow at the top of the page is beautiful, but IMO it is too big...if you scale it down and move it to the side you will have room for content above the fold. As it is now, clicking the relatively tiny links at the bottom (those links should be moved up and emphasized as click targets) doesn't seem to do anything, since the only content that changes is below the fold.

Also the font is very hard to read, there are a wide variety of more legible script fonts that will look just as good.

If you can you should run an informal usability test with friends and family who have not used the site before. Come up with a few simple tasks and ask them to navigate the site to complete those tasks while watching what they do (but not helping them).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 5

On any website I do NOT like having to scroll below a 'set' 1/2 pg to see anything of interest.
As Jason said, make that smaller. There's one or two pictures that you just see a very close-up of some detail....to me that means nothing. If I'm shopping for a cake I want to see what is available on the whole cake- not just a very small part of it.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 5

Great advice, thanks guys! I have some friends and family looking it over in the next couple days and will the designer make some changes

chocolate_luvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_luvr Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:46am
post #5 of 5

I like it just the way it is icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%