Need Help!! Carved Cake

Decorating By melonball Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 8:27pm by melonball

melonball Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a minnie mouse cake tomorrow 3d head.

There are about 4 layers of cake which I've partially shaped.

2 questions

Do I need to use any type of support? It's not pound cake it's egg free.

Can I add to the shape using fondant under the final covering to make look more minnie like?

8 replies
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 9

A good rule is that you should have a layer of support for every 4" of cake. Plus, if you plan to make the base significantly narrower than the rest, I would put a board across the widest part of the head, and use pillars to support, otherwise, your head can fall over.

As far as putting extra fondant, it can be done. The only problem is most people don't want to eat that much fondant, so someone is going to get a big chunk of fondant leftover on their plate. Plus, fondant can add a lot of weight, so be careful that you don't get it too top heavy. Personally, if I need to add shape to a carved cake, I use extra frosting, then stick it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to get it to firm up before I cover it in fondant.

HTH icon_smile.gif

melonball Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the tips.

What type of board would you put in the middle?

JennTheCakeLadie Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 9

I always use good old fashioned cardboard cake boards, which I cut to the size and shape i need.

melonball Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 7:35am
post #5 of 9

Would you then cover the cake board inside with anything?

Karen421 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 9

Not usually, some buttercream or ganache on it to "glue" the cake in place.

melonball Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the tips......

Well pleased with it uploading picture now....

(I hope)

buffim Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

I did a class with Pat Jacoby this fall and she recommends against using cardboard in the centre for support. I used to do it all the time too, but apparently it can suck the moisture out of your cake, get soggy from the moisture it has absorbed and then it doesn't really help you with structure anymore.

She suggested using foam core or something like that.

I've never cut served one of my cakes that had cardboard in it so I'm not sure how much moisture it would absorb though.

melonball Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

FINALLY managed to upload a photo of Minnie mouse!!!

Take a look

Quote by @%username% on %date%