Dowel Rod Help Please...

Decorating By DH2008 Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 1:08am by BlakesCakes

DH2008 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 5

Doing my biggest cake so far next week (nephews wedding) that is going to be 8",10",& 12" round lemon w/cream cheese filling. I have always used the skinny wooden dowels but wonder should I use the hollow plastic ones for more support? Worried about the weight of the cake & filling. Any suggestions?

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 5

Plastic drink straws will do nicelyicon_smile.gif There really isn't that much more weight to be concerned about.
You can pick some up at places like McD; BurgerKing or Wendy's. I'd use 5 to 7 in the biggest tier then 3 in the next one.
BTW: personally I suggest using a 6"er for the top. It looks nicer. An 8" top tier just does not present as well.If you still feel unsafe w/using straws, then go ahead and use 4 plastic dowels in the bottom and then you can use the straws in the other tier.

MCurry Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

I've done a 3 tiered with the same and used the skinny wooden dowels with no problems. I would use 10 for the bottom tier and I also use one long dowel to go through all three tiers to secure the cake.

I like the skinny ones because it is less cake that is used up.

DH2008 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the input! I agree about the 6" top, but she presented me w/ a pic of the cake she wanted. I'm just changing the flowers & the color of the band border. It's 3 tier & she's having 112 people so I had to go w/the sizes I came up with. Since it's family, I'm making a 6" round fresh for their 1st anniversary icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 1:08am
post #5 of 5

I sooooo prefer bubble tea straws or hollow plastic dowels over wood--easier to cut, more stable, use fewer.

To support the 8", you'd need 4. To support the 10", you'd need 5.

Quote by @%username% on %date%