Christmas Cake

Baking By mo63 Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 4:34am by menymicke

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 7:11am
post #1 of 9

I made my christmas cake two weeks ago and i've been feeding it with brandy, does anyone know if it is ok to use , say, pure orange juice or another fruit juice instead. Dont want it to be overpowered with alcohol but dont want it to be too dry either.

Thanks for your help.

8 replies
jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:08am
post #2 of 9

Fruit juice can ferment in a cake if you used it for feeding it, its ok to use fruit juice for soaking fruit before cooking and inplace of alcohol in the recipe but an alcohol free cake would be just left to mature and not fed. How often are you feeding as it should only be every couple of weeks and about a tablespoon each time.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:12am
post #3 of 9

Ah...alcoholic cake. You enabler you.
Plying it with various liquours and spoon-feeding it no less.

Sorry.
I'm in a strange mood tonight. icon_lol.gif

mo63 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:38am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Fruit juice can ferment in a cake if you used it for feeding it, its ok to use fruit juice for soaking fruit before cooking and inplace of alcohol in the recipe but an alcohol free cake would be just left to mature and not fed. How often are you feeding as it should only be every couple of weeks and about a tablespoon each time.

I have fed it twice upto now and just one little spoonful each time. Was just worried it might be bit dry, but didnt want to put too much alcohol in it.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 9:21am
post #5 of 9

Its very rare to get a dry fruit cake as they mature they usually stay moist. Don't know what recipe you used I use Mary Berry and have done for the last 5 years never had a dry cake

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:19am
post #6 of 9

ive always used straight brandy for my christmas cakes, ive been using the same recipe and feeding them once a week with a tablespoon of brandy (or a teaspoon on smaller ones) since i started doing xmas cakes, Never had a dry one yet ! if you soaked your fruit before hand, it should be plenty moist and juicey come christmas icon_smile.gif

mo63 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Its very rare to get a dry fruit cake as they mature they usually stay moist. Don't know what recipe you used I use Mary Berry and have done for the last 5 years never had a dry cake

I used a Lindy Smith recipe. Thankyou for your help and advice, il give it bit more brandy in few weeks then. thumbs_up.gif

mo63 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

ive always used straight brandy for my christmas cakes, ive been using the same recipe and feeding them once a week with a tablespoon of brandy (or a teaspoon on smaller ones) since i started doing xmas cakes, Never had a dry one yet ! if you soaked your fruit before hand, it should be plenty moist and juicey come christmas icon_smile.gif

I did soak the fruit over night in brandy so fingers crossed it will stay moist.

Thank you for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

menymicke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menymicke Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:34am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Its really very helpful for me, thanks a lot for your advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%