Buttercream Question(S)

Decorating By kimberly6723 Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm by lilmissbakesalot

kimberly6723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly6723 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:13am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone...I have been lurking on here for the better part of a year....and have been baking from many of your recipes with great success....but I have a nagging question on buttercream....

why so much sugar? I just can't get beyond all the sugar...and the taste...i have tried 3-4 diff recipes (going to try some new ones I found today) but, I just don't like the sweetness.

I love the creamcheese icing...but I need to find a buttercream icing that works....

Also, since I am asking, how hard will it be to use creamcheese icing and turn it royal blue??? lol..

Thanks for your help, in advance!!

3 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 4

You might want to try a meringue buttercream. They have far less sugar in them and taste amazing... like really rich whipped cream but it is far more stable.

I like a swiss meringue and most recipes are the same. I usually add extra vanilla.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:38am
post #3 of 4

I use Swiss meringue buttercream because it is not too sweet. Italian meringue buttercream is not too sweet either. I only use American style (confectioners sugar with butter/shortening) for kids cakes. It is too sweet for me.

I love cream cheese as well. I've only dyed cream cheese in pastel colors so not sure how it would look royal blue. My only thing for you to consider is the amount of gel you may need to put in to get royal blue. It may impact the consistency so keep that in mind when mixing and don't overmix. Honestly, when clients ask about frosting being dyed dark colors, I usually steer them clear and tell them that people will end up with colored tongue and lips!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 4

Don't forget too tht what color goes in... must come out. Warn parents that their kiddos might poo bright blue if they eat too much... LOL.

I had someone call when I did a firetruck when I was just starting out. Bright red buttercream = scary bathroom experience if you aren't expecting it.

Italian and Swiss meringue buttercreams taste the same... it's just the technique that is different. For a beginner, the Swiss version is a little less intimidating since you don't have to boild sugar to 248 degrees and all. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%