Your Icing Smiles Cakes.

Lounge By mplaidgirl2 Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 12:25am by mplaidgirl2

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 19

I know alot of you make cakes for this wonderful Charity.
I just had the pleasure of making 2. I would love to see them!!
PLease Post!!

Also if your a baker please go sign up! The team is amazing. They know times are tough and you can't make a free cake ever week. They are great about spreading the cakes among their bakers and making sure all the kids that participate get an amazing cake. It really is like a little family!

http://www.icingsmiles.org/

They take both licensed and unlicensed bakers.

These are the 2 I've made over the last 30 days

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2197653
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2158420

Both cakes went to the well Sibilings of the cutest little girl Aslin. She has been treated for Neuroblastoma

18 replies
JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 19

I have done a cake for Icing Smiles. This is an AWESOME organization. We all make cake, make one for something that matters. When I delivered my cake, the Mom was busy, so she showed me where to set it up and left the room. She walked in the room with the cake all set up and was stunned. The tears instantly started flowing. My cake was also for the well sibling of a very sick little boy. His sister had given up so many things because of her brother's sickness, and Mom wanted to make one day all about her. My husband didn't understand why I was spending so much time and effort on my cake, but I made him help me deliver it. When we walked out, he said "I get it now." It is definitely an experience you will never forget icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 19

Thats sooo sweet! I want to see the cake! Do you have it on here?

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 2:55am
post #5 of 19

I am so glad you started this thread. It finally got me to upload my photos from the 2nd of 2 cakes I've done. There is no more wonderful experience I've ever had than this. Icing Smiles will touch your heart in a way you would never believe possible.

My first cake I did last February. That one has been on here. The 2nd is one for Ronald McDonald House. Their camp was celebrating their 25th Anniversary. I immediately called two friends to see if they wanted to share in this one. I couldn't have done it without them, we were able to do so much more working as a team. None of us can explain how we felt that day, but we each know and it's something we get to share together.

Here are the links to those two cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1945872
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198021

If you do have the ability to volunteer to do a cake, you will find you are so rewarded in your heart for doing so.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:32am
post #7 of 19

Awesome cakes everyone! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm anxiously waiting to be contacted by this wonderful organization! What better way to use our gifts!

cownsj Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:36am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneandBrad

Awesome cakes everyone! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm anxiously waiting to be contacted by this wonderful organization! What better way to use our gifts!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif They are getting more orders in all the time, new volunteers being trained and more cakes that will be getting done. I'll bet you'll have a cake of your own soon. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Did you send in an application to them already? They have a new website with an application on it, in case you haven't done that yet.

cownsj Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:41am
post #9 of 19

It was hard for me to pick out the 6 photos I can post in here (which I did do), but here is a link to see all the photos of our Ronald McDonald cake being delivered to the camp for their 25th Anniversary. They insisted we stay for dinner and had the best time with everyone there. The kids were fantastic, sweet, gracious and very loving and appreciative. And they gave us non stop hugs and thanks yous the whole time we were there. I might add, we'd never seen the cake together until we set it up on this table, so what a wonderful surprise seeing it come to life for us, just as we imagined. Here are the complete photos I have from my photobucket account: http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/Icing%20Smiles%20Ronald%20McDonald%20Camp%2025th%20Anniversary/

DianneandBrad Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:42am
post #10 of 19

I sent in my application in July and was notified that I was accepted. I emailed them about a month ago but haven't heard back.

cownsj Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:46am
post #11 of 19
Quote:

I sent in my application in July and was notified that I was accepted. I emailed them about a month ago but haven't heard back.

Don't get the least bit discouraged. It was a year and a half before I got my first Call to Action. The organization is growing very quickly, and new people are stepping into the positions as quickly as possible so we can begin reaching out to hospitals, clinics, etc to begin the process. I'll bet you'll hear soon, within a couple months. Icing Smiles is growing in leaps and bounds which is just so much more heartening. And when you get your call, you'll have to let us know how it went, how much you felt and changed from your experience. It's beyond wonderful and worth the wait. I'm just glad you're on board.

DianneandBrad Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:52am
post #12 of 19

Thank you soooo much for your encouragement. It was reasurring hearing that you didn't hear from them for a year and a half. I know it will be worth the wait, and happy to hear how the organization has been growing so fast. I will definitely let you know when I get my call! Thanks again.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:17am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilismaius

Here are my two cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2003761
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2170025

I LOVE the pirate ship cake.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:22am
post #14 of 19
Quote:

Thank you soooo much for your encouragement. It was reasurring hearing that you didn't hear from them for a year and a half. I know it will be worth the wait, and happy to hear how the organization has been growing so fast. I will definitely let you know when I get my call! Thanks again.

Michigan isn't a sponsered state yet.. That doesn't mean they don't make cakes for people in michigan.. it just means they don't advertise there yet (Hand out info to hospitals and other places) So it might take a little longer since someone would just have to Know about the charity and sign up themselves.

Its only $500 a year to sponser a state... So if you know someone that would want to do that want to do that I'm sure they would get up and running quicker there,

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:54am
post #15 of 19

@mplaidgirl2, thanks. The pirate ship cake was fun to do. It matched the little boy's playroom donated by Make-A-Wish. Unfortunately, the race car cake wasn't my best work, as it was due two days before my mastectomy and I wasn't really feeling up to doing anything. I wish I had a chance for a re-do on that one.

DianneandBrad Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:11pm
post #16 of 19

mplaidgirl2 Thanks for letting me know that Michigan is not a sponsered state YET. I will start searching a way to get it sponsered to help make it happen quickly!
aprilismaius You did a great job especially facing your own health issues. I pray you are doing well now!

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:

mplaidgirl2 Thanks for letting me know that Michigan is not a sponsered state YET. I will start searching a way to get it sponsered to help make it happen quickly!
aprilismaius You did a great job especially facing your own health issues. I pray you are doing well now!

AWESOME cakes, everyone! : )

Diane, you might want to try local businesses or if you're connected with any local clubs/groups/civic organizations -- Lions, Eagles, Moose (sounds like a wildlife safari, doesn't it? -- LOL), those might work. A number of civic organizations and clubs have a charitable giving arm, and the $500.00 sponsorship fee is both do-able and reasonable. Good luck! : )

PDX

mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 6:06pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I am so glad you started this thread. It finally got me to upload my photos from the 2nd of 2 cakes I've done. There is no more wonderful experience I've ever had than this. Icing Smiles will touch your heart in a way you would never believe possible.

My first cake I did last February. That one has been on here. The 2nd is one for Ronald McDonald House. Their camp was celebrating their 25th Anniversary. I immediately called two friends to see if they wanted to share in this one. I couldn't have done it without them, we were able to do so much more working as a team. None of us can explain how we felt that day, but we each know and it's something we get to share together.

Here are the links to those two cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1945872
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198021

If you do have the ability to volunteer to do a cake, you will find you are so rewarded in your heart for doing so.

I love the story behind your Piggy cake. What a great Nurse! and a great cake! The Circus one is crazy. So many elements that make it so special!

mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:25am
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Love the Welcome to the Jungle cake. I was thinking about doing a similar theme for a baby shower.

I can't wait for my next cake from Icing Smiles icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%