Dust Or Spray For All Over Shimmer

Decorating By Smore4us Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 8:09am by sweettreat101

Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I will be making a cake covered in gray fondant with an all over sparkle/shimmer effect. I've considered either brushing with dry pearl dust or the edible pearl spay. Any suggestions about which would be better? How much of either would I need to completely cover a 6", 9", and 12" round?
Thanks in advance!

7 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:59am
post #2 of 8

I've used the PME & ChefMaster pealized sprays--silver, gold, white, etc. I like them. Very convenient.

Depending on the coverage you want, I'd say one can would do fine, but I'd get a second one.............just in case.

Rae

Smore4us Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:25am
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your reply BlakesCakes! Looks like that would be the less expensive option. icon_smile.gif Do you find the spray cans difficult to control at all? I don't want it to be to heavy and I'm a little concerned about getting even coverage since I don't have any experience with that. Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 8

Just like using a spray paint can. I hold it about 12" away and do several light coats.

Rae

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:02am
post #5 of 8

If you do go with spray, try to spray inside a cardboard box put on it's side, since that stuff gets everywhere!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:38am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

If you do go with spray, try to spray inside a cardboard box put on it's side, since that stuff gets everywhere!

I agree, the spray is great but spray inside something... the spray is very fine and gets all over the place..
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Smore4us Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the helpful tips! I wouldn't have thought about that...Egads!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 8:09am
post #8 of 8

Go with the PME pearl spray. I used it on the Quince cake in my photos and one can covered all nine cakes and the flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%