I Need Some Advice!

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 3:14am by coloradoflower

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 4

I'm out here in Colorado where the Cottage Food Law has not yet happened. But I love to bake and make this awesome artisan bread. Well I was wondering if I can have a sign stating that I have fresh baked bread. I already have one that states that I have farm fresh eggs which is true. But I know I can't legally sell baked goods out of my house but what if I just donate the bread to people who come asking for it. Then maybe have a donantion jar by the door. I am really asking for any money. I just want to get my name out there and see if anyone in my town would even be interested. We really don't have a bakery in my town only walmart, so but I don't know.. What would yall do???? Please Help

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 4

Personally I wouldn't do that, it would be pretty obvious that you were counting on donations to fund continued bread production, and chances are people would either donate too little or nothing at all so it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Perhaps you could talk to local restaurants and work out a deal where you could provide them with fresh baked bread in exchange for baking time during off-hours at the restaurant's kitchen, that way you could have a legal business and wouldn't have to worry about getting shut down.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:32am
post #3 of 4

I believe a very limited law passed last year for registered growers to be able to sell their goods. For instance, if you have a registered peach orchard, you can sell peach preserves. I didn't pay attention to the details since it doesn't apply to me and I'm not sure if your eggs would qualify (I don't make bread; are eggs even used?). It might be worth checking out, though.

It's possible you can find info here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ColoradoCottageLaw

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #4 of 4

No there are no eggs invovled in the bread recipe, but I am getting like a dozen eggs a day way too many for me and my family to eat. So we sell them to neighbors and such. But even if your right I don't think it would help me out in selling loaves of bread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%