Urgg!! So Frustrated

Decorating By Sunshine0063 Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm by carmijok

Sunshine0063 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 2

I just need to vent. My son is on the youth football team, the person that is in charge and also a friend ( daughter of a friend ) asked if I could make the cakes for the banquet. 105 kids plus parents and sibleings. I figured aprox 420 people since some have siblings on the teams some are from single parent homes and some may not be able to make it or just don't care for cake, diets etc. So I was planning a football jersy cake, cheerleading uniform cake, a cake with fondant figures and one simple cake that has the name of the team. I would be doing double layer sheet cake for each as that will serve 60 plus have cake balls and throw in a football helmet cake and pom pom cake.

At the beginning ( a couple of months ago )I told her the cost of just the ingrediants would be around $50.00 or more per cake ( the colors are cardinal red and black) since I am buying the fondant to cover. I am charging 35 for labor on each cake and as I said throwing in the other stuff just because.

I work full time but this week I didn't have to be in until 5 everyday. I called her Mon. with the total cost and to get some of the money so I could buy supplies and get started. She hasn't returned any calls or made any attempt to contact me to say yes I want them or sorry to high. I would understand I'd even work with her buying costco cakes and have one done as a football field that we could add the figures to so it could be semi custom.

Sorry so long I just had to rant now I've had a week that I could have been baking and freezing that I've lost and if she wants it will have to be done in a weekend and one here and there over the next week. The banquet is on the 18th of this month.

1 reply
carmijok Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 2

All you can do is pick up the phone and try to call her and if she doesn't answer leave her a message that says you need to know by 5 o'clock this afternoon or you will not be able to do it as there is not enough time for such a large order. If you do not hear from her you will assume that you are not needed for this particular order. Then I would email her with the same info. You have to have a deadline on this because most people don't know how long it takes to produce specialty cakes. We used to get calls at the bakery all the time from people who thought it was nothing for us to produce a 3-tier custom anniversary cake for the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%