Marzipan And Mudcakes...

Decorating By Dewargh Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 4:08am by auzzi

Dewargh Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 8:47am
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I am attempting to make a pretty cake for my daughter's first time. As I want it to be perfect and beautiful but didn't want to pay $150 I am thinking I could simply buy a mudcake from woolworths and then cover it in marzipan and decorate. I have coloured my marzipan pink, and have purchased a practice run mudcake - I was about to roll marzipan over the top when I googled it and found that some sites say to use an apricot jam between the chocolate ganache and marzipan, and others say the marzipan needs to dry out. I wasn't planning on doing that, or covering the lot with fondant which other sites seem to write as mandatory. What would you suggest?

I am very excited about this website icon_smile.gif

5 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:14am
post #2 of 6

I have seen the jam used when the marzipan is applied directly to the cake. It acts as an adhesive. But since you're already using ganache, you may not need it. I would say if the ganache is still a bit moist then you could put the marzipan over top of it, but if it's dry then you should lightly brush it with the jam. I have never seen anything suggesting to dry out the marzipan. To me, that would make it more difficult to apply to the cake.

Also, are you planning on covering it again with fondant? If so, consider brushing the marzipan with some kind of alcohol like brandy. It acts as a sanitizer between those two layers but also helps the fondant to adhere to the marzipan. I got that trick from one of Peggy Porschen's books.

Hoping some other Aussies or UK cakers will chime in.

auzzi Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

Marzipan has a distinct taste. Not all consumers like the strength of the almond flavour.

1. check that ww sells "naked" mudcakes because they do not make their mudcakes instore ..

2. marzipan is more often used as an undercoat in AU cake decorating. There are different types/kinds eg cooked, uncooked,etc. Some are more pliabile, smooth and workable, than others

3. mudcakes are rarely marzipanned - ganache is more common as an undercoat.

4. <<apricot jam between the chocolate ganache and marzipan>> jam, in the form of a glaze, is used the "glue" the marzipan to the cake, and subsequently, "glue" the sugarpaste to the marzipan. I have not heard of using ganache under marzipan ..

5. before covering the cake with sugarpaste, the marzipan undercoat takes 2-7 days to dry depending on the type or marzipan, the weather etc...

6. if marzipan is what you want to cover your cake with, refer to :
http://www.marzipanaustralia.com.au/marzipan-cake-decorating.asp

7. as marzipan and sugarpaste ["rolled fondant"] are sugar doughs, they require some type of liquid or moisture to adhere the covering to the cake.
- The traditional "glue" is sieved jam glaze. Modern "glues" include simple sugar syrup, buttercream, ganache .. The last two serve a dual purpose of undecoating and adhering the outer covering to the cake.
- to stick the sugarpaste to the marzipan, you can use jam glaze, syrup, alcohol, or just boiled water [sparingly].. Alcohol as a sanitizer between the layers? really ?

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

Auzzi,

My apologies, it wasn't from Peggy Porschen's but from Mich Turner's book. From "Wedding Cakes," by Mich Turner (page 130):

"To cover a marzipan or chocolate plastique covered cake, brush the cake with brandy or cooled boiled water. This acts as a good antiseptic seal between the marzipan and rolled fondant as well as being an adhesive."

That statement is also mentioned here:

http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2011/04/official-fiona-cairns-royal-wedding.html

I didn't make it up, even though it sounds like crap to me. I have never covered a cake in marzipan nor taken a bacterial culture so I can't testify to that statement. icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 6

It sounds like the OP is new to caking - I've had a few non-cakers ask if I use marzipan when they mean fondant. Maybe that's the case here?

OP - marzipan on mudcake wouldn't be very appetizing to most people. Can I suggest buying fondant instead - it's in the pink box next to the marzipan in Woolies (Orchard brand).

auzzi Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 4:08am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

acts as a good antiseptic seal between the marzipan and rolled fondant as well as being an adhesive

The only thing that I can think of that can she is trying to sanitize against is the possibility of fermentation. I would presume that her workplace is hygenically clean ..

Fermentation occurs when wild yeast that lives naturally in the air is trapped and grows between the layers of cake and icing. It does not require oxygen, just warmth, moisture and carbohydrates [sugar/starch]. As the yeast consumes the glucose in the carbohydrates, it excretes ethanol and carbon dioxide.

Using alcohol to to sanitize something that excretes ethanol/alcohol does not make much sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%