Cake Fell In Middle, Tested Done.

Baking By Leauna Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 2:58pm by Leauna

Leauna Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:56am
post #1 of 3

I know that I saw a thread on here a couple of weeks ago for this same problem, but I can't find and I need some advice, so sorry if this is redundant.

I baked a carrot cake tonight set my timer checked it when it went off and it tested done. I took it out of the oven and within a few minutes it started to fall in the middle icon_surprised.gif . I was hoping that it was only going to sink a little, because I could just cut the top off and level it, but no, it sank alot, were talking crater icon_cry.gif . Did I not cook it enough?

This is a cake that I am making for a customer for tomorrow, it is only a sheet cake. Do I start over? Is there a way to salvage it? I can bake another one in the morning to add to the top of it, but what do I do about the crater in the middle. It would take a lot of frosting to fill it. It sank about 1 1/2 inches. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
JanH Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 8:45am
post #2 of 3

If you level the cake top, you should be able to see if the cake was properly baked.

If it's not, then I would definitely make up another batch of batter baking this cake longer.

How do you test for doness? I use a combination of toothpick, touch test, cake pulling away from side of pan and smell:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtobake/a/doneness.htm

Interesting "hearing" test for doneness:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=242490

HTH

Leauna Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 3

JanH

Thank you for the response. I think it just didn't bake enough with the addins that I am using. The hearing test is an interesting method, but unfortunately for me I am 70% deaf on the left side because of a cold that I got 1 1/2 ago, so it makes it hard to hear certain noises, so I would have to stick my head really close to the cake and one of my kids might take the Hansel and Gretel approach while I'm in there. I have sent my DH to the store to get me more ingrediants and will be baking again this morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%