Buttercream Disaster Help

Baking By PaytonMoore Updated 18 May 2012 , 1:40am by BakingIrene

PaytonMoore Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 6

Hey guys just a quick question.

I have been making butter cream icing for years and I have never had this issue so I don't know how to deal with it. This time around I used a different brand of icing sugar not sure if that is a factor but it is very powdery tasting. Like it tastes like icing sugar and its not good, I made it like I always do with the only difference being the brand of icing sugar.

5 replies
JanH Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 8:47am
post #2 of 6

Well, if the only factor that changed was the brand of icing sugar.... Was the old brand cane sugar and the new brand isn't?

PaytonMoore Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 6

No both are icing sugar I mean brand as in different brand names

kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 6

What the other poster meant was some powdered/icing sugar is made from cane & some from beets.
If it was an 'off' brand (one not real popular - like a store brand) it might have more cornstarch in it than the better known brands.
And yes, that certainly can cause the difference in taste that you experienced.
One other possibility - try beating it - well actually mixing on low speed - for 10-15 minutes. Many times that will incorporate the ingredients sooo well it can solve such problems.

PaytonMoore Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 6

Oh Okay I will look at that I usually buy it in bulk from a store in my town called Bulk Barn and this one I bought in a bag at the store. I didn't realize what it was made from thank you that really helps I will whip it more and maybe add some vanilla and see what happens.

BakingIrene Posted 18 May 2012 , 1:40am
post #6 of 6

You usually buy from BulkBarn? They also sell powdered dextrose, you might sometimes get some of that mixed in with the icing sugar.

And the bagged stuff might not have been mixed well at the factory. If you still have the bag, call and let them know.

Sometimes it seems the "sugar" is not cane or beet (both make good icing FYI) but lactose or some other crap that is legally "sugar" but not sucrose. I figure this from the intestinal distress...

If you have space at home, ask BB to sell you a full box of the sugar that works best for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%