Let My Cake Settle W/book On Top, Now What?

Decorating By mbark Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 3:36am by rlowry03

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 3

Ok so I tried the thing where you place a book on top of the cake to help it settle and get any bulges out, but after that was done I didn't know what to do lol. I usually don't crumb coat (I use the large icer tip) , but did this time and actually didn't end up with much bulging. Are you supposed to go over the cake again after this process if there is bulging? I did run my spatula around the cake but since it was a crusting icing (that had crusted) it started pulling it away in clumps, I have a feeling this is not the right process.
I was able to smooth it out and use the paper towel method and it's nicely covered in fondant at this point but wanted to ask how else you all finish icing the cake after the settling process.
I am thinking since I don't usually crumb coat maybe I could fill and stack my cake, then lightly cover in saran wrap and put the book on? Then smooth out any bulges and use the icing tip like normal?

2 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #2 of 3

Gosh, mbark your cakes are so lovely it looks like YOU are the expert. Seriously!

I usually level, fill and crumb coat and let my cakes sit at room temp for an hour or so, then pop in the fridge till the crumb coat is nice and solid. Then I ice while it's cold and smooth completely. I know a lot of folks say not to put the final icing on a cold cake, but that's what works for me. I don't place anything heavy on my cakes anymore............had an unintentional topsy turvy cake from that. Had a granite tile shift overnight..........lol My fondant goes on the cake while it's cold as well.
Kat
icon_smile.gif

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 3

I might be mistaken, but I think people use the weight to settle the cake after it's filled but not crumb coated. So fill, then let settle, then scrape off any excess that bulges out and crumb coat or frost as usual.

At least that's what I got from some previous posts. I've never actually tried this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%