Help! Fondant Decorations And 24 Hr Advance Delivery!

Decorating By tcwheeler Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 8:28pm by tcwheeler

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! Thanks in advance for your tips and advice. Here's my worries...For my dimensional decorations (numbers, names, bow loops, corkies, etc.), I've been using Satin Ice and Duff's fondant and mixing in Tylose Powder to make it harden more and harden quickly. Well, they seem to be ok until I put them on a BC cake. They QUICKLY rehydrate and wilt!

Ok...so next weekend I need fondant decorations (flowers, vines, and leaves, 3D letters and number topper) and I have to deliver the cake about 24 hrs in advance. Should I mix in Wilton's fondant with the other brand(s)? Forget those brands for accents & figures? Straight gumpaste?

I would like to put everything on the cake and it be ready to go for the party the next day but I'm worried about moisture/wilting/condensation, etc.

I know that I have a lot of questions but I thank you SOOO much for your help!

Here's the inspiration....http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1844089

9 replies
ooCUPPYCAKESoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ooCUPPYCAKESoo Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 10

i think wiltons fondant is pretty bad for taste and its appearencee
i think you need to find a good quality fondanttt
i dont know where you live but bulk barn has really good fondanttt and accents will be good with this fondant
but depending on what kind of accents depends on whether u should use gumpaste or fondanttt
but i think gumpaste just hardens and doesnt look too good as accents on cakes
but again depends what kind of accents

tcwheeler Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooCUPPYCAKESoo

i dont know where you live but bulk barn has really good fondanttt and accents will be good with this fondant
but depending on what kind of accents depends on whether u should use gumpaste or fondanttt

Oh you are so right....it does NOT have a good flavor. I need it for leaves, vines, # topper, and a 3D name. I need flowers too but I think that they'll be ok with the other, better tasting fondant and they'll most likely be eaten anyway.
Satin Ice a good fondant but probably not for decorations and accents that need to harden.

ooCUPPYCAKESoo Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooCUPPYCAKESoo

Oh you are so right....it does NOT have a good flavor. I need it for leaves, vines, # topper, and a 3D name. I need flowers too but I think that they'll be ok with the other, better tasting fondant and they'll most likely be eaten anyway.
a good fondant but probably not for decorations and accents that need to harden.

im thinking you'll be better off with the gumpaste for the name and topper especially if you're delivering it 24h before and let them fully dryy
and for the others i think maybe mix some fondant and gumpaste but if you dont have a good fondant or are trying a new fondant dont take a chance with this cake just stick to gum paste
and find yourself a better fondant the satin ice can be a bit not stiff enough i find for on cake and accents

tcwheeler Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 10

[quote="ooCUPPYCAKESoo]
im thinking you'll be better off with the gumpaste for the name and topper especially if you're delivering it 24h before and let them fully dryy
and for the others i think maybe mix some fondant and gumpaste but if you dont have a good fondant or are trying a new fondant dont take a chance with this cake just stick to gum paste
and find yourself a better fondant the can be a bit not stiff enough i find for on cake and accents[/quote]

For some reason, the gumpaste intimidates me. I guess it's because of all those gorgeous flowers that can be made with it. LOL But, I'm going to do it!

Wilton, Duff, and Satin Ice are the only 3 brands of fondant that I've used. I've made my own MMF in the past but got so tired of tinting red and black. icon_smile.gif That's all the brands readily available in retail stores here in Houston. Might have to shop online a bit for my next project. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

ooCUPPYCAKESoo Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 10

ive never used duff but i think it just might be the better choicee
and dont be intimidatedd by gumpasteee its almost the same as working with fondant so no worries im sure you are going to an awsome job
good luckk
and hope to see pictures icon_smile.gif

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 10

Hmm, I don't know about this one. I've never had luck with gum paste or fondant figures holding up for very well on BC. I'd suggest you leave them off and have the customer add them, or talk them into letting you cover the cake in fondant. Good luck with it.

Karen

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 10

Duff's fondant is candy melt based, high in fat, and doesn't harden completely.

Satin Ice fondant hardens well when tylose is added to it. It basically becomes gum paste when you do this.

Wilton fondant has an improved taste & also makes "gum paste" when you add tylose to it.

All decos must be completely dry when added to the cake.

If you're not using a crusting buttercream recipe any decoration will become gummy/droopy with prolonged contact.

Rae

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 10

Don't use Duff's for items you need to harden. Even with adding tylose, it won't get as hard as Satin Ice. Duff's is repackaged Fondarific, which I love for covering cakes - but it's awful at decorations you need to harden. It's made up differently and is more of a candy/chocolate type covering - while it will harden slightly when left out, it really reacts to temperature. When cold, it's very firm and when warm, it can resoften and even get melty.

Satin Ice with tylose works great for decorations! Just let them dry/harden before you add them to the cake.

Don't use them on cream cheese icing! Many people have posted cream cheese icing tends to melt the decorations.

tcwheeler Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Duff's fondant is candy melt based, high in fat, and doesn't harden completely. Wilton fondant has an improved taste & also makes "gum paste" when you add tylose to it.All decos must be completely dry when added to the cake.If you're not using a crusting buttercream recipe any decoration will become gummy/droopy with prolonged contact.

Rae

Rae, thank you so much for the information. I use Wilton's crusting BC.
I hate to risk droopiness. icon_smile.gif I have already mentioned to the customer that she might have to place the things on there. I just hate delivering a cake halfway finished. icon_sad.gif I may try to glue the topper together so that she just has to set it on the cake and make several little bouquets around.
This is the inspiration...http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1844089Thank you all for such wonderful tips!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%