Mom's With Young Kids Who Dare To Open A Cupcake Bakery!

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm by robbynjaye

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 9

My grand opening is next weekend and I am terrified! I believe that we will be super successful with this bakery but I'm so worried on my work and home life balance. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old! My family has jobs of their own so I dont have huge support. They do what they can when they can.

I would LOVE to hear how other moms with small children juggle their cupcake biz and home life.....oh yeah, gotta make time for the hubby too icon_lol.gif

8 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 9

It shouldn't be too bad as long as you have competent people working for you (a business manager, front-line staff, and production) and have put together a good business plan.

robbynjaye Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

Well it's just me and the hubby will be part time in the beginning! Hopefully we get busy quick so other employees will be warranted! Oh boy!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynjaye

Well it's just me and the hubby will be part time in the beginning! Hopefully we get busy quick so other employees will be warranted! Oh boy!

You can estimate how much time will be required on a weekly basis by adding up all the time spent in the kitchen, double that for administrative overhead, then add the number of hours you'll be open to staff the front end of the shop. It might be doable if you have full-time child care, but you're probably looking at 80+ hour weeks.

The time commitment was the main reason we chose to go with a rented kitchen with no storefront instead of a retail shop, and that was before we had a kid.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 9

Hire a nanny...It may be worth it in the end as you will work long hours and paying a sitter here and there may be more in the end...at least a Nanny is there full time...not the best idea as you are trying to be able to spend more time with your family but it really is going to be hard just starting out...Good Luck finding the balance..LOL

robbynjaye Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 9

Jason,

We do have full time childcare thank goodness. We started in our home kitchen but the deliveries were killing us. That is a full time job in itself. My son got really upset when I had to take him away from his game to deliver cupcakes, lol!

And it sucks because I cannot start baking until after 7am, when I take them to school. Then I have to pick them back up at 4:30. I can't close the bakery to do that. People are still at work. These are my worries.

robbynjaye Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hire a nanny...It may be worth it in the end as you will work long hours and paying a sitter here and there may be more in the end...at least a Nanny is there full time...not the best idea as you are trying to be able to spend more time with your family but it really is going to be hard just starting out...Good Luck finding the balance..LOL

There's that "N" word! That sounds so snobby to me icon_lol.gif But I was actually thinking about it. There is a vacant space next to mine in the same building that I was thinking about having the kids and "Nanny" in there while I work. I don't know. Then I would feel like I'm letting someone else raise my kids. This is so emotional.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 12:59am
post #8 of 9

what's the difference in having your kids in childcare or having a nanny? They are still away from you for the same hours.

all working parents have the same problem.

robbynjaye Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

what's the difference in having your kids in childcare or having a nanny? They are still away from you for the same hours.

all working parents have the same problem.

Yes, but my working hours are no longer while they are in school. I work for the public now so that includes weekends, some holidays, etc. It's a whole different ballgame for me! SO I didnt mind them in daycare during the day. But nights and weekends are a bit much icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%