Baking W/ Parchment Paper

Baking By platinumlady Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 9:42pm by jgifford

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:25am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone use Parchment paper to bake things other than cookies...like cakes . If so is it really less clean up does it really stop the cake from sticking to the bottom of the pan? I'm asking these questions because I'm wanting to try it...but would like some feedback before I purchase the parchment paper. I'm trying so hard to streamline my business & many things are coming back in my head from when my Nana & Great Aunt did there cooking. How has it worked for you.

Please all advice & comments welcomed. I really want to know both sides...

Thank you in Advance

8 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:35am
post #2 of 9

Yes, every cake I do. When I have cakes coming up, I prepare parchment circles well in advance and store them in zip lock baggies. To make them pretty quick, I lay out a long sheet and starting for the cut end, line up my pans in puzzle fashion (to ensure most of the parchment is actually used with little waste) and sometimes include sizes I'm not working on to best fill in the gaps. I use a sharpie to outline the pans and keep moving the pans down the strip until I have enough outlined.

Before people panic about the Sharpie - since I'm outlining the outside bottom of my cake pan with a marker, I'm cutting a good 1/4 to 1/3 inch inside that line, so the sharpie is never left on parchment I'm baking on. Yes, I get Sharpie marks on the outside of my pan. If that worries you, wrap your pan in saran wrap before tracing it. I didn't think of that until after I marked some of my pans.

When I'm ready to cut them out. I first cut out the rough outline, leaving the majority of the Sharpie circles intact. Using the Sharpie outline as my guide, I quickly fold the circle in half, then fold the ends together twice, until it's the shape of a wedge. Then quickly cut 1/4 to 1/3" inside the outline and unfold. Perfect circle that fits just inside the pan. Also, since it was folded, it tends to straighten out the parchment for curling up.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:06am
post #3 of 9

I use wax paper. Its cheaper than parchment. I just cut a rough circle four round cakes (fold a piece in half and then half again and cut a curved line then unfold), spray a little butter spray in the pan so the circle sticks, put the circle in the pan, spray again and flour. Then when I pour the batter in, I start in the middle so the paper doesn't curl up. I don't even worry about being exact, as long as you cover the majority of the bottom, your cake won't stick. It keeps the cake from sticking, makes a cleaner edge, makes cleanup easier and when you flip the cake warm cake out it helps keep it from cracking. You can stack ten or so layers together and then fold and cut. I keep them in a baggie hanging on the inside of my cabinet door.

I have used parchment around the sides to make the cake rise higher. Waxed paper won't work for that because it smokes.

HTH

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:15am
post #4 of 9

Me too, every cake I do. Makes cleaning pans so much easier.

Fantasy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fantasy_Cakes Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:20am
post #5 of 9

I always use parchment paper on the bottom and sides. It keeps cake from sticking and its easier to clean...

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone....In the pass I was rebelling against this...but it's been on my mind too much to ignore...so I will definitely start with this. I know there is a learning curve for everything. But I'm looking forward to making things easier for myself

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 9

If you grease and flour your pans anyway, parchment paper isn't really necessary. I never have a cake stick anymore and there's not a lot of mess left in the pan to clean up. Just take your cake out of the oven and immediately set it on a wet towel. After just a couple of minutes, turn the cake out and it won't stick.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 9

jgifford - just curious - what does the wet towel do for it? i've never heard of this before. I also, always use parchment paper, but just incase I run out, would like to try your method thumbs_up.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 9

I have no idea how it works or why - - I'm sure the water in the towel is the key. I found this little tip on line about 5 years ago so I tried it. Works every time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%