Is Support Needed For A Fondant Bow?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 4:21am by carmijok

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:09am
post #1 of 2

I am making a 10"-6" (2-tier) cake with a fondant bow. I have a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate any help, I have one day left to finish this cake.

Batter: I noticed the cake batter for the top tier was very thick. It seemed to bake up fine, but then when I went to carve off the crust I could tell the cake was crumbly. Almost as if it had alot of air bubbles in it, I can press down on it and you can tell. Will a "airy" cake like this hold up a fondant bow? I am contemplating if I should re-bake the top tier and make the batter more runny/normal.

Support: Also, do you need to dowel the top tier to support the fondant bow? Or should the cake be strong enough to hold it up?

Boxes: Any suggestions to where to buy a 12x12x15(ish) sized cardboard box, without having to order it online? Would a Home Depot/Lowes type of store carry one? My cake store only has 12x12x5 boxes, I need something taller.

Fondant bow: One more question. This is going to be my 2nd fondant (only) bow, so I am a little nervous of breakage. How long should I let it dry before putting it together? I made the loops 3 days ago. Is this long enough to dry?

Thank you!

1 reply
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:21am
post #2 of 2

First of all, use gum paste instead of fondant for your bow. You can roll it thinner, it dries faster and is a lot lighter than fondant. I use Wilton's pre made gum paste for all my bows and flowers and other types of decor that needs to be sturdy.
Just use a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby or Michaels and save a little money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%