People Really Don't Have A Clue!

Decorating By Momofjaic Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 11:01pm by Momofjaic

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 14

my sister called me today and asked if I could do a b-day cake for next sat for my niece. I told her sure. She wants a hello kitty head ( Wilton pan). I told her if she would pay for the pan and my ingredients I would do it at no additional cost. She agreed and said she would be able to pick it up the fri. Before. Then she added that she was off the whole day so she would come up sometime that am and we could go to the store and she would by the pan and other stuff I would need. I laughed ( in my head) and told her I would pick up everything and she could just pay me back Just had to share. I read on here all the time about people not knowing the time that goes into making a cake not that this is a big cake or anything but just a reminder people really don't get it!

13 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:01am
post #2 of 14

I can understand people not having a clue because I didn't! The most baking I'd ever done (I'm 5icon_cool.gif was to buy a box mix and a can of frosting and make little swirleys with the butter knife.

I took the Wilton courses on a whim 2 years ago and now I'm obsessed with cake and chocolate work. I've spent 70 hours on cakes [http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/337]. If you'd told me 2 years ago I'd spend 70 hours to make 4 cakes, I would've had you hauled off to the booby hatch.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 11:50am
post #3 of 14

So did you TELL HER how long it was going to take to make? You're right...most people don't realise the time that goes into cakes - they need educating.

xotamilxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xotamilxo Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofjaic

my sister called me today and asked if I could do a b-day cake for next sat for my niece. I told her sure. She wants a hello kitty head ( Wilton pan). I told her if she would pay for the pan and my ingredients I would do it at no additional cost. She agreed and said she would be able to pick it up the fri. Before. Then she added that she was off the whole day so she would come up sometime that am and we could go to the store and she would by the pan and other stuff I would need. I laughed ( in my head) and told her I would pick up everything and she could just pay me back Just had to share. I read on here all the time about people not knowing the time that goes into making a cake not that this is a big cake or anything but just a reminder people really don't get it!

I am just a beginner and probably have no business commenting but I just had to ...YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT !!!! Even I did not know this and have found out WOW !!! I spent the whole day Yesterday making cookies on a stick now Today I have to decorate them 2 DAYS mind You I totally have found out and give You All a big applause !!!!

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 14

I have run into this problem a few times myself. It is quite annoying. I figure everyone at one time has seen a cake show on TV and see's the work that goes into a cake. And that's with 5 people making it! I recently had someone take a real attitude with me over this very same issue. She actually said to me in an email "I am busy too, I work 9 hours a day and I don't have the luxury of waiting for people to call ME to place an order!"
I fumed over that for a couple of days. Oh well, I don't need business from people like that. Get your old frozen cake from WalMart...lol icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 14

I'm not saying people are dumb but some folks really don't get it. It's almost as if they believe things fall out of the sky. And this has gotten worse with of the popularity of cakes shows and competitions on t.v. As hard as it is to understand for me, some people really do think that all that works gets done in 30 minutes. So I guess that's why some customers/friends/family think we can whip something up at the drop of a hat in 30 minutes.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 14

I agree that people don't realize how much time it takes, but I am a little confused with this one. Your doing a Wilton's shaped pan, right? Just the Hello Kitty head pan? I'm going to say from baking to decorating, your looking at 2 hours tops, maybe 3. But I can't really see that either. Well your baking make your buttercream. It won't take that long to cool and then decorate away. There's a reason why Wilton's makes those pans. They are quick and easy for those that don't really decorate on a regular basis. Think paint by colors.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

I agree that people don't realize how much time it takes, but I am a little confused with this one. Your doing a Wilton's shaped pan, right? Just the Hello Kitty head pan? I'm going to say from baking to decorating, your looking at 2 hours tops, maybe 3. But I can't really see that either. Well your baking make your buttercream. It won't take that long to cool and then decorate away. There's a reason why Wilton's makes those pans. They are quick and easy for those that don't really decorate on a regular basis. Think paint by colors.

Yes, but if she wants to make the buttercream in advance (or bake the cake, for that matter), then she can't wait until the day before to buy the ingredients. Regardless of how easy or quick a cake is, most of us don't mix, bake, frost/fill, and decorate all in one day. Some do, I'm sure (I used to, before I came to my senses), but I don't think it's the norm.

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingnellie

[quote="QTCakes1" Regardless of how easy or quick a cake is, most of us don't mix, bake, frost/fill, and decorate all in one day. Some do, I'm sure (I used to, before I came to my senses), but I don't think it's the norm.

I do agree with you, totally. But this is a Wilton pan cake. This is not the typical cake with all the crazy details, where you may have to bake several layers in advance. If I'm not mistaking, these pans require one box of cake mix. And I, who bakes from scratch, wouldn't have a lot of baking involved or buttercream involved with one of those pans. That's all I'm saying. I can't see spreading a project that takes about 2 hours across several days. That would be very poor time management on my part. Heck, and if I can get it all done in 2 hours, that's all the time I'm spending on it. thumbs_up.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 14

I have far too many other cakes going on every Friday and Saturday to have to handle a bake, cool, ice and finish off a cake (character or not) while somebody sits there waiting. That sucker would get done Thursday night and she could pick it up Friday.

Momofjaic Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 14

I know that it is only a Wilton pan and I can do it while she waits but I have three kids two are speial needs and I cannot wait on her to drive 1hr to get here before I even see the store I just thought it was funny! I bake at night when kids are in bed!!!!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 14

I need at least three days to get a super black buttercream.
If you buy me the ingredients on Saturday morning for a cake you want THAT day...Hello Kitty is going to be a bit gray. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

I need at least three days to get a super black buttercream.
If you buy me the ingredients on Saturday morning for a cake you want THAT day...Hello Kitty is going to be a bit gray. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif Okay, that was just funny!

And for the record, I have 6 kids, one who is also special needs, so whatever to that. It is just my opinion on the time frame of a shaped cake pan, especially if that's the only cake your doing.

Momofjaic Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 14

It's not the only one I've got 200 jar cakes to do for sat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%