Melting Icing!?!?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 9:26pm by StormyHaze

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 1:56am
post #1 of 4

Hey all, i ran into a very confusing roadblock the other day after i had iced all of my cupcakes.

They were both a banana cupake, but one being iced with cinnamon honey frosting and the other having strawberry filling, vanilla frosting, drizzled chocolate, Jimmie sprinkles, and a cherry on top (banana split cupcake--yes it tasted AMAZING).

I know i dried the cherries very well on several paper towels before putting them on top of the cupcakes, so that couldnt be the reason. as well as, the cinnamon honey cupcakes did not have any of the special things that the other cupcakes did. different icing recipe and everything.

it was not hot or even warm by any means, and the icing after i piped it looked so fantastic, pretty, and professional. the one with the chocolate drizzle/cherry/srinkles icing even had a bit of crusting element to it. strong and yummy, which is why i am so thoroughly confused as to why the melting.

the only similarity between the two is the cupcake base.. can you make sense of it??

3 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:07am
post #2 of 4

Could you maybe post the icing recipes that you used? That might help us to help you figure out what went wrong.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:34am
post #3 of 4

Did you store the iced cupcakes in an airtight container? Sometimes trapping all that moisture can cause the icing to fail.

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Did you store the iced cupcakes in an airtight container? Sometimes trapping all that moisture can cause the icing to fail.

Ah.. Yeah the container was air tight.

here are the recipes, though i typically do noy add the cream, as it just makes my icings too liquidy.

Fluffy vanilla Frosting
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

To make the frosting: Stir the heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt together in a small bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. With the mixer on low, slowly add the confectioners' sugar a little at a time until it is completely incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then beat in the heavy cream mixture. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. (The frosting can be made a few days ahead and refrigerated. When you are ready to use it, let it come to room temperature and then beat briefly.)

Cinnamon Honey Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, room temperature
3-3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons raw dark honey
pinch cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons milk or cream, as needed
For frosting, cream butter in electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add 1 cup sugar and beat until smooth. Add honey and cinnamon and mix until combined. Add remaining confectioners sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until well incorporated. Add 1 tablespoon of cream at a time, and mix at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add more cream or sugar as necessary to achieve proper consistency. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%