Freezing Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By asanchez Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 6:02am by JanH

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all, I remember there was a topic in the past about freezing hi ratio shortening, especially Sweetex. I tried to find it in the "search" field but cannot find it. Does anyone remember? I am looking for the answer.

Thanks.

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:14am
post #2 of 8

I know on the packaging of every Hi ratio brand I have used it specifically says DO NOT FREEZE. So I wouldn't even try.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 8

I buy Sweetex in 50# cubes--I don't have room to freeze it icon_eek.gif

I bought 16 oz. plastic containers (3/$1 at the Dollar Store) and put 14 oz. (by weight), which is 2 cups by volume), in each one. I store them in a larger plastic bin in a cool area out of direct heat & light. Hold up great. Lasts...............well, at least 18 mos.

Rae

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 8

I don't freeze mine and haven't heard of freezing it since it last so long.

I store my high-ratio in old 20 lb. fondant buckets in a cool area and away from light. They are air tight and food safe!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

I freeze mine all the time and always thaw it a couple of days before I need to use it. I have never had a problem with it and have not seen any difference in taste of whatever I make.
evelyn

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #6 of 8

I freeze Sweetex, since I don't use that much of it. (Just like I freeze butter when it's on sale.) icon_smile.gif

Freezing hi-ratio shortening thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7056069-.html&sid=d8efd47075e8f5fb41e6a68398080919

HTH

lovecakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecakes52 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #7 of 8

(Just like I freeze butter when it's on sale)

Wow Jan thanks for the tip on the butter! I never thought about freezing butter. Do you know how long it last in the freezer?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 6:02am
post #8 of 8

Online info is anywhere from 4 to 9 months:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=freeze+butter&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&rlz=1I7GZAG_en

I've never had enough to hold onto it for more than several months, though.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%