I Need Help French Vanilla B/c Separating

Baking By vaniti716 Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 5:33am by Apti

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 17

I am making french vanilla buttercream using a recipe that is from here but for some reason when I taste the buttercream it seperates in my mouth...i dont know what to do to fix it......i added more powdered sugar, more liquids and now its not as smooth as it was...pls i need help asap
thank you all in advance

16 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 17

can you post the recipe? kinda hard to help when we don't know which it is

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 17

You need to provide the exact recipe that you used. If possible, post a photo. It's almost impossible to determine the cause with the recipe because there are way too many variables. If you are using no-trans fat Crisco, that may be part of the problem. Since they switched to zero trans-fats, the buttercream does not absorb the liquid nearly as well.

vaniti716 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 17

I was tripeling the recipe:

9 cups of shortening
30 tbsp french vanilla
18 tbsp half and half
pinch of salt
1 bar of butter
24 cups of sugar
6 tbsp vanilla extract

and then i mixed like crazy lol

Apti Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:13am
post #5 of 17

May I ask a favor? I know you've posted the recipe, but could you please post the original recipe, BEFORE you tripled it? Also, could you provide the link to the original recipe (where you found it). Without doing the math, those proportions seem kinda skewed (1 bar = ? [1/2 cup?] ) to 9 cups of shortening?

Also, if you tripled the recipe, and "mixed like crazy", did you do that in batches? Did you use a stand mixer? A hand mixer?

I have a 5 quart Kitchen Aide Artisan stand mixer. The most I can make at one time is a double batch.

step0nmi Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 17

3 cups of shortening to 8 cups of sugar is not enough sugar! I am hoping this is Powdered sugar...also, what is the french vanilla you are using? the tripling probably didn't work for you...that is WAY too much in one regular mixer, unless you have an industrial mixer

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:47am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniti716

I was tripeling the recipe:

9 cups of shortening
30 tbsp french vanilla
18 tbsp half and half
pinch of salt
1 bar of butter
24 cups of sugar
6 tbsp vanilla extract

and then i mixed like crazy lol

The updated recipe (which it appears you used) calls for these ingredients:

1 cup butter (room temp)
1 cup all vegetable shortening
8 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 fluid ounces of International Delight Coffee Creamer
2 fluid ounces unwhipped whipping cream

So not only did you not calculate correctly, but you also substituted half & half for the whipping cream which will thin out your buttercream...

Also don't know what a "bar" of butter is.... (Is it a 4 oz. stick or 16 oz. block?)

HTH

vaniti716 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 17

I used an industrial mixer and I didnt know that half and half would think out my buttercream....I used 1 stick of butter bc i didnt have the butter flavor the original recipe had called for.....i dont know what to do at this point should i add the whipping cream now and hope it helps??? i do not what to throw it all away icon_sad.gif
oh and thank you all for helping me i really appreciate it.

step0nmi Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 17

unfortunately...i would start over icon_sad.gif sorry to say. but using half and half is probably what helped cause the separation. to me it seems like there is too much liquid in that recipe to begin with!

if you wanted to triple it:

3 cups butter/ or 6 sticks (i would do salted)
3 cups shortening
24 cups powdered sugar
12 ouces (wow that's a lot! I would use it to taste) of the French Vanilla Creamer (1 cup + 4 oz)
6 oz of whipping cream

see, with both the creamer and the whipping cream there is too much of the heavy liquid. I would have used the whipping cream first and then added the creamer to taste. *btw, for every 4 cups of butter/shortening that i have i only use about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of liquid if that helps you.

Maybe JanH can help you figure out the liquid for this one? icon_wink.gif

vaniti716 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 4:50am
post #11 of 17

Thank you sooo much step0nmi I actually did stat over and and just doubled it icon_sad.gif I am sooo upset that i had to start over , everything is ok now icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:38am
post #12 of 17

vaniti716--Unfortunately, this is how we learn the art of cake decorating. I find that my personal learning style is to make it wrong, then make it right the 2nd time.

step0nmi Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniti716

Thank you sooo much step0nmi I actually did stat over and and just doubled it icon_sad.gif I am sooo upset that i had to start over , everything is ok now icon_smile.gif

glad to hear all is ok now. did you end up using the amounts they said to use? I am curious as to how it came out with all that liquid icon_rolleyes.gif

vaniti716 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 17

lol yeah i am learning as I go thank goodness its nt brain surgery lol...and yes i used the amount of liqiod the original recipe required and doubled it and the frosting came out really light and fluffy...i saw it done on you tube the lady that did the original recipe is amazing but i forgot her name icon_sad.gif oh and thank u all of your help icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 17

Well, you've definitely got the right attitude to learn caking! You'll make a lot of mistakes, but then you'll learn what NOT to do, the next time.

Here is one my FAVORITE recipes by one of the lovely and VERY experienced ladies here on CakeCentral, IndyDebi. This is nearly foolproof and will stand up to heat and humidity beautifully. [If possible, look for shortening (similar to Crisco) in your local stores that have 3 grams of trans-fats in the ingredients. It will produce nicer frosting. Crisco no longer puts trans-fats in their shortening. If you can't find shortening with trans-fats, just use the Crisco.]

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):
(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (use store-brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats if you have it)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

IndyDebi says: There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

step0nmi Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 12:23am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Well, you've definitely got the right attitude to learn caking! You'll make a lot of mistakes, but then you'll learn what NOT to do, the next time.

Here is one my FAVORITE recipes by one of the lovely and VERY experienced ladies here on CakeCentral, IndyDebi. This is nearly foolproof and will stand up to heat and humidity beautifully. [If possible, look for shortening (similar to Crisco) in your local stores that have 3 grams of trans-fats in the ingredients. It will produce nicer frosting. Crisco no longer puts trans-fats in their shortening. If you can't find shortening with trans-fats, just use the Crisco.]

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):
(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (use store-brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats if you have it)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

IndyDebi says: There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

ugh! i had never seen these tips! not mixing the dream whip for that long causes graininess and i could never get it just right! THANKS! icon_lol.gif

Apti Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:33am
post #17 of 17

You're welcome, stepOnmi. I can't remember where I read the tips, maybe it was a thread about the recipe. When I make this it turns out BEAUTIFULLY!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%