Cake Bomb In My Kitchen!!! Help!

Decorating By tabco Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 2:43pm by TexasSugar

tabco Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 9

Everytime I work on a cake it seems like I have had a cake bomb go off in my kitchen!! I have 3 kids and need to do meals in my kitchen as well!! As you all know cakes can take a few days when you have kids and sometimes it just isn't easy to clean up the mess just for a meal or homework or for company , etc....then get it all out again. How do you guys handle the MESS and still function in your kitchen?? I have actually stopped making cakes as of now and this is one of the major reasons....but If I could figure something out I may start again.

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 9

Have you thought about doing some freezer cooking? You can do a day of cooking prepping meals or parts of meals to go in the freezer for you to pull out and stick in the oven on a cake day? Also crock pots also allow you to cook with out making a big mess or needing a large work space to prep/cook.

I live alone so I have a bad habit of the cake explosion taking over my kitchen and dining room, and the room I keep all the cake stuff looking like it threw up everywhere. I know for me I don't put things back in their place when I'm done, so then I end up searching longer for stuff. But as you said it takes away from the rooms you need to function as their intended purpose.

Maybe you can find a rolling cart or drawer set that you can roll out into the room to use to work on, then put everything back in it and roll it out when you need to use your kitchen for a kitchen?

Keciak Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 9

Oooh, the rolling cart idea sounds awesome. I am married to a neat freak so the cake bomb look doesn't go over well here. My kids don't mind my cake making though. Teenage son "got any cake scraps?" as he holds the gallon of milk. icon_biggrin.gif

tabco Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 9

The dinners in the freezer thing has been on my mind alot lately! Even if I am not going to do cakes anymore it is a good idea! I have a rolling cart and roll it in and out of my laundry room but it is not big enough I guess and I still have stuff everywhere, icing, piping bags, fondant scraps, powdered sugar, supplies, etc....it gets crazy lol! It takes me about 8 hours just to decorate because I have to keep stopping and such.....I don't know if I can stand the mess!! With company coming in and out of my house all the time it makes me nuts!!! I wish I had a cake room with a door that could be closed but I dont see that happening!

Apti Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

tabco--I totally hear you. And TexasSugar--I also live alone and it's waaaaay too easy to just "do it later".

After doing this hobby, which is now pretty much an obsession, for the past 22 months, I've completely re-done my guest room closet into a cake closet, my outdoor shed into a cake shed, my porch into a place for my extra fridge/freeezer, and the last tiny bit of space in my laundry room into a shelf for stuff I'm working on "at the moment". In order to make room for cake stuff, I purged EVERYTHING that wasn't essential to make room. I got rid of furniture, appliances, old kid toys. It was like having one of those organizer people from Hoarders come and pitch stuff while I wasn't looking.

Whew....

I hired my niece, nephews (ages 8, 10, and 11) this summer at $1 an hour. Each of them had a specific project. One of them helped me convert my outdoor shed into a wonderland of shelving and storage that I can actually walk into (yay!!!), another helped me create a custom closet with shelving in their guest room, and another helped me go to Home Depot and purchase the materials needed to store everything.

I have actually been able to find what I need, use it, clean it, and put it up!

I have been able to feed guests on my dining room table! It is glorious.

However, I must be vigilant!!!!! I'm already experiencing the creeping cake supplies syndrome......

Be afraid, Tabco, be very afraid...........................................

tabco Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 9

Hahaha! I'm already afraid!!! Afraid if I keep on making cakes I may end up on that show Hoarders buried alive in a cake mess!!!!

Rosie2 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 9

I hear you pain!! and I also suffer from the 'cake bromb' syndrome aggghhh icon_sad.gif and unfortunatelly I AM the neat freak icon_sad.gif so, I constantly pick up, clean, wipe and start all over again as I'm doing a cake. That's why it takes me up to 3 whole evenings to do one single cake, buuuu icon_sad.gif
However, currently I'm in the process of organizing so I got about 4 rolling carts, 12 plastic bins, and 2 tall shelves (plastic and metal) with wheels. All of that will be in my garage which I can access through my kitchen.

Have you seen this thread? http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-49039-0.html it's awesome and you get such good tips to organize your stuff.

Good luck!

NanaSandy Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:04am
post #8 of 9

All I can say is I so relate to this dilemma!! The Crock Pot and my husband grilling are my best scenerios. If I know I have cakes coming up, I plan our meals around that for the week. The dining room table is taken up with the Cake Bomb ( I try to keep it contained to the table) , and we end up eating in the living room on our laps. But , hey, I guess as long as we are all in the same room, we are still getting that family time. LOL

TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

tabco--I totally hear you. And TexasSugar--I also live alone and it's waaaaay too easy to just "do it later".

Mmm hmmm, I have a box of gumpaste flower cutters and dusts on my dinning room table cause I keep telling myself I need to sit down and make some flowers sometime. Yeah they have been there for a good two to three months.

Tabco, I've been doing freezer meals for a while. Mostly because for me, I either have to make a 'recipe' that is hard to down size with out having extra bits of this and that left, or I have to eat the same thing for days. Mine metal loaf pans are my best friends! Most casseroles freeze well. And even if you don't want to set aside a large chunk of time to make stuff, just plan to double some of your family favorites when you do make them, and freeze the second half of it.

While I totally suck at keeping organized, I can say I see how it is the keep to helping keep anyone sane, but especially a caker in the midst of doing a cake. At the beginning of the year I had my cake/craft room very neat and clean. It was awesome. I could find everything I needed with out having to spend 30 minutes. Of course a few cakes later everything was a mess again and has been since then. icon_sad.gif

Like when it comes to storage, you have to find a method that works best for you, and it isn't often the first system you try. If the cart isn't working, evaluate why. Does it have things on it you don't need for every cake, making not enough room for things you do? Does it need to be organized differently? What about adding a extra box or two on top, to hold that bags of bits of fondant, or to drop your bags of color in when you are done with them for a little while?

I'm just tossing ideas out there...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%