Lemon And Poppy Seed Cake

Baking By mo63 Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 9:03pm by mo63

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 3

I have a recipe for a Lemon an Poppy seed cake but the poppy seeds my husband managed to get for me are white!

Does anybody know if it matters if they are white or black, somebody told me that white are used in Indian cookery but I dont know if they taste any different! I thought maybe black are used more for the appearance.

Please help.
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 3

From Wikipedia:
"The color of poppy seeds is important in some uses. When used as a thickener in some dishes, white poppy seeds are preferred, having less impact on the color of the food. In other dishes, black poppy seeds are preferred, for maximum impact."
"In Indian cuisine, white poppy seeds are added for thickness, texture and also give added flavor to the recipe."

There doesn't appear to be any difference in flavor.

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

From Wikipedia:
"The color of poppy seeds is important in some uses. When used as a thickener in some dishes, white poppy seeds are preferred, having less impact on the color of the food. In other dishes, black poppy seeds are preferred, for maximum impact."
"In Indian cuisine, white poppy seeds are added for thickness, texture and also give added flavor to the recipe."

There doesn't appear to be any difference in flavor.

Thank you, I thought maybe the colour was more for appearances. I think i'l give it a go and see how it works out.

Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%