Royal Icing For A Display Cake

Decorating By Motta Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 1:16am by kakeladi

Motta Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone!

I need to make a display cake for a bridal fair. Since buttercream only cakes are making a comeback, I wanted to showcase one. I was thinking of using royal icing as the buttercream. Has anyone done this already and have some advice for me? Did it look ok?

Thanks!

11 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 12

You can do royal if you want to. But you can also cover a dummy cake in buttercream as well.

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 12

I find royal soooooo hard to smooth/work with icon_sad.gif
WHY NOT B"CREAM? I use it all the time - yes for dummys and orders. Take a look at my pix. There are many, many b'creamed dummy in there.

CWR41 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 12

Perma Ice is artificial icing for dummies. Spackle from the hardware store works as well, especially if you want it to last for a long time.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 12

I tried spackle once, never again will I do that.

I also tried royal.

Still prefer buttercream, since I can smooth it the way I smooth the icing on my cakes.

Motta Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks ----------------I should add that I have to leave the cake in the hands of other people for a photo shoot. I've been asked to leave it the day before the shoot. If they mess up the icing, then my cake won't look good. I thought I should use royal icing to make sure the decorations stay in place. I'm piping rosettes all over the cake. Do you think I'm worried for nothing???

TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 12

If you do the cake early, the icing will be hard.

But it is your choice. If you are concerned, go ahead and use royal. The one time I tired it I couldn't get it smooth enough and sanding it was a PITA.

Motta Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, it's the hardness I'm worried about. A rosette could fall off. I think I'll take your advice and use real buttercream but I'll make it out of shortening and powdered sugar only - no butter!

Thank you!!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 12

Yes I would use shortening instead of butter. If you do it a week or two ahead of time, it will be pretty hard. Maybe not royal icing hard, but it will have crusted and dried out pretty well.

bakingpw Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 12

Lightweight spackle at the hardware store is sooooo easy to use - easier than buttercream, because it is light and fluffy. It dries fast and hard. Plus, it keeps and cleans well. Just color the spackle as you would buttercream.

Unlimited Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Lightweight spackle at the hardware store is sooooo easy to use - easier than buttercream, because it is light and fluffy. It dries fast and hard. Plus, it keeps and cleans well. Just color the spackle as you would buttercream.

I agreeit's awesome stuff to work with!

kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 1:16am
post #12 of 12

TexasSugar said: .........I tried spackle once, never again will I do that. I also tried royal. Still prefer buttercream, since I can smooth it the way I smooth the icing on my cakes...........

I totally agree.
I've also used the lightweight speckle - still prefere b'cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%