Royal Icing For A Display Cake

Decorating By Motta Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 1:16am by kakeladi

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone!

I need to make a display cake for a bridal fair. Since buttercream only cakes are making a comeback, I wanted to showcase one. I was thinking of using royal icing as the buttercream. Has anyone done this already and have some advice for me? Did it look ok?

Thanks!

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 12

You can do royal if you want to. But you can also cover a dummy cake in buttercream as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 12

I find royal soooooo hard to smooth/work with icon_sad.gif
WHY NOT B"CREAM? I use it all the time - yes for dummys and orders. Take a look at my pix. There are many, many b'creamed dummy in there.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 12

Perma Ice is artificial icing for dummies. Spackle from the hardware store works as well, especially if you want it to last for a long time.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 12

I tried spackle once, never again will I do that.

I also tried royal.

Still prefer buttercream, since I can smooth it the way I smooth the icing on my cakes.

Motta Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks ----------------I should add that I have to leave the cake in the hands of other people for a photo shoot. I've been asked to leave it the day before the shoot. If they mess up the icing, then my cake won't look good. I thought I should use royal icing to make sure the decorations stay in place. I'm piping rosettes all over the cake. Do you think I'm worried for nothing???

TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 12

If you do the cake early, the icing will be hard.

But it is your choice. If you are concerned, go ahead and use royal. The one time I tired it I couldn't get it smooth enough and sanding it was a PITA.

Motta Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, it's the hardness I'm worried about. A rosette could fall off. I think I'll take your advice and use real buttercream but I'll make it out of shortening and powdered sugar only - no butter!

Thank you!!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 12

Yes I would use shortening instead of butter. If you do it a week or two ahead of time, it will be pretty hard. Maybe not royal icing hard, but it will have crusted and dried out pretty well.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 12

Lightweight spackle at the hardware store is sooooo easy to use - easier than buttercream, because it is light and fluffy. It dries fast and hard. Plus, it keeps and cleans well. Just color the spackle as you would buttercream.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Lightweight spackle at the hardware store is sooooo easy to use - easier than buttercream, because it is light and fluffy. It dries fast and hard. Plus, it keeps and cleans well. Just color the spackle as you would buttercream.

I agreeit's awesome stuff to work with!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 1:16am
post #12 of 12

TexasSugar said: .........I tried spackle once, never again will I do that. I also tried royal. Still prefer buttercream, since I can smooth it the way I smooth the icing on my cakes...........

I totally agree.
I've also used the lightweight speckle - still prefere b'cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%