Decorating By JackieTR Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 7:13pm by kittyjive

JackieTR Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:10am
post #1 of 7

Hi all you wonderful bakers. I live in Durban, South Africa and myself and my partners have started our own business doing kids birthday parties and cakes, novelty cakes, wedding cakes etc. All is going well and everyone loves our cakes, but for some reason we're having trouble with our cake fondant cracking. What could be the cause of this. It all seems to look fine when we roll the fondant, we cover the cake and everything looks perfect for a minute or two and then..... it cracks over all the edges.... PLEASE HELP..... i'm getting really dispondant. Any advise guys? icon_sad.gif

6 replies
JackieTR Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:13am
post #2 of 7

It just never quite looks like everyone else cakes. It looks... well, ok, but I want it to be AMAZING. I'm also wondering if there a different qualities of fondant. Some i've bought get really sticky as soon as my hands heat it up. And some just breaks as I roll it. Is it me or the fondant??? Yikes!!! icon_cry.gif

kittyjive Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:39am
post #3 of 7

if you've gone into business making cakes, why on earth are you buying fondant and not making it yourself? that seems like your first problem.

LisaPeps Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:23am
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by kittyjive

if you've gone into business making cakes, why on earth are you buying fondant and not making it yourself? that seems like your first problem.

Why should she make her own fondant because she's gone into business? If anything it should be the other way around... Alot of the famous cake decorators buy their fondant, it's not cost and time effective to make your own.

It's probably the fondant that you are using. Can you tell us which brand it is? I use Carma Massa Ticino which is ideal for hot climates. It's is brilliant to work with.

How are you rolling it out? With powdered sugar, corn starch, vegetable fat? Adding too much powdered sugar can change the recipe o the fondant.

pieceofcaketx Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 7

There are different qualities and consistency of fondant.
Each one seems to work differently for everyone, one might tell you Satin Ice is the best while someone else will tell you it's the worst stuff on earth.

Unfortunately it might take some trial and error on your part.

Some of the companies provide free and or cheap samples, maybe get a few and see what you think of each one.

jgifford Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 7

If your fondant is cracking, it's too dry. You can try rubbing vegetable oil on it to smooth over the cracks. But you're right - - you need to find a fondant that works so you won't have this problem.

I only use fondant for decorations because it holds it shape. For covering cakes, I use modelling chocolate. I can make my own really cheap and it tastes a lot better.

kittyjive Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7

just because a lot of famous cake artists buy fondant, doesn't make that smart business sense. it's more expensive to just buy it, making your own can be a selling point (we make everything here in house by hand) thus being able to charge slightly more and you have more control over consistency. it doesn't make good business sense to use a product that cracks and is a mess instead of doing it properly the first time. shortcuts at the end of the always cost you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%