How Is This Technique Done?

Decorating By bobhope Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! i'm doing a fondant beach themed birthday cake for monday & I want the ocean water/wave effect to look like this one in the picture by David's cake of distinction.. i believe it's royal icing but how do i do it to have the same effect? thank you very much for any tip/tutorial ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=211545198916522&set=a.143737449030631.35935.143706765700366&type=3&theater

bobbie

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

I would do it in buttercream. I'd start piping the bottom layer, and then build up from there using diffuerent shades and tapering into the wave patterns. You can use a damp brush to blend the piping together. And a smaller tip on the little white details around it all.

bobhope Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

thanks texas sugar..i thought of the damp brush too.. you think, r.i. is not the way to go?.. my bc recipe doesn't hold up much to our hot weather..& all shortening bc comes out grainy icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

Honestly I would use buttercream, but I guess it could be done in royal.

The only problem with royal is that you would have a lot of hard crunchy icing over the cake.

bobhope Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Honestly I would use buttercream, but I guess it could be done in royal.

The only problem with royal is that you would have a lot of hard crunchy icing over the cake.

thanks again! icon_smile.gif

SweetSadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSadie Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:17am
post #6 of 7

looking at the waves on the cake...I think I would try a can of compressed air to "sculpt" some of the more intricate details of the waves ...and also to get a more realistic effect.

Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

bobhope Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

sweetsadie, thanks.. but i'm not familiar w/ the "compressed air" technique icon_biggrin.gif

bobbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%