Will It Keep Fresh!

Decorating By RACHYX Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 7:46am by Tails

RACHYX Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 5

HI GUYS IM MAKING A BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR MY FRIENDS TWINS FOR SUNDAY IT WILL BE TWO TIER WHEN CAN I START THIS CAKE AND IT STILL BE FRESH FOR SUNDAY WILL BE COVERING THE TIERS WITH ROYAL ICING SO SHOULD KEEP THE CAKE PRESERVED BUT UNSURE HOW LONG I CAN LEAVE IT.... icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

Okay, since you mentioned you are covering the tiers in royal, I have to ask, where are you from?

Typically in the US we do not use royal icing as an covering for a whole cake, but I do understand there are places that do. What type of cake are you making?

My personal rule of thumb is 4 days. I do not like to give anyone a cake that is more than 4 days old. So for a cake due on Sunday, I would bake on Thursday. Torte, Fill, and Settle on Friday. Ice and decorate on Saturday.

I work during the day so can only do cakes in the evening. If I didn't work during the day I'd probably do the bake, cool, torte, fill, and settle Thursday evening. Ice and start decorating on Friday and then the rest on Saturday.

If I needed to bake earlier, then I would put the cake in the freezer until Wed, then I would pull it out to thaw and do the rest of the steps.

RACHYX Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 5

hey would u recommend something different then? thanks for ur advice.x

TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 5

Any kind of icing would help keep your cake from drying out. What you use would depend on the look you are going for. You could use buttercream, ganache or fondant.

And if you royal icing is typically used where you are from, then you can certainly used that.

Tails Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:46am
post #5 of 5

I would aim for fondant, as Royal Icing usually is used on top of cookies icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%